Sony DCR-HC21?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a Sony DCR-HC21, primarily to be used for family event type shooting, but I know I'm going to want to throw it in a housing, too. Saving the pennies for U/W still photo, so the U/W videography is just going to be something I'll do occasionally for kicks & documenting a fun dive.

Any experience with this camcorder? Reasonable entry-level unit that'll give me some fun video?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: Ugh. Just read a few more reviews online, and this seems to be a very bare-bones camcorder....maybe TOO bare bones, even just for the amateur use it'll get from me. Other suggestions in the < $600 category?

I'm realistic when it comes to the price of the housing. I just can't rationalize spending > $1k on the camera alone right now.

Jim

So we just went to Best Buy....any opinions on the Panasonic PV-GS150 (or the lesser PV-GS65)?

Does the 3 CCD make a significant U/W (or topside) difference?

Jim

GoBlue!:
So we just went to Best Buy....any opinions on the Panasonic PV-GS150 (or the lesser PV-GS65)?

Does the 3 CCD make a significant U/W (or topside) difference?

Jim

Before you buy your camcorder make sure you research the underwater housing options available.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any housings available for the Panasonic GS150.

Sony camcorders offer the most options for underwater video housings.

Yes, 3 ccd does make a difference, both topside and underwater. However, not everyone can see the difference. Even those who can, some don't feel it's worth the additional cost which is a big factor because you also have to buy a housing.

My recommendation would be to get a 1ccd Sony and an Ikelite housing. The Sony HC series 21/31/42 camcorders go for around $370-$530. The matching Ikelite housings are around $680.

So for around $1200 you get a brand new underwater digital video setup all set to go. Both the camcorder and housing are small making travel easy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom