Sony DCR-PC120/Ocean Image Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just picked up a Sony DCR-PC120 and Ocean Image Housing at a good price. Maybe I should have asked what everyone thoult of this set-up before I bought the camera.

I am new to this whole video world and am looking for a good video editing software.

I just picked up a Sony DCR-PC120 and Ocean Image Housing at a good price. Maybe I should have asked what everyone thoult of this set-up before I bought the camera.

I am new to this whole video world and am looking for a good video editing software.

Congrats on the new system.

Regarding the software, can I ask if you use PC or Mac?

If you use PC, look at the Windows Movie Maker software that came with windows. It is surprisingly good for free software and will get you started editing on a timeline. You can do non-linear editing, add transitions and audio tracks, and I believe you can do some basic color correction, although you may need a plug-in. The prices go up from there, from $90 or so for Adobe Premiere Elements or Pinnacle Studio up to $500-$700 or so for pro level programs like Adobe Premiere Pro or Sony Vegas. There is an NLE thread in the "Production" forum above with more info, but so far it has been mostly discussing the higher end software.

There is also free editing software on the Mac, or you can invest in Final Cut Express or Pro.

My opinion is that unless you are selling your videos or your skills have exceeded the what the lower end software is capable of, go with the lower end stuff, they will give you the tools necessary to make some great videos as you learn them.

Personally didn't care for the Windows Movie Maker and bought Pennicale Studio Plus. I think it lands someplace in the middle of crap and pro. I like the drag and drop format plus all the effects and such. Also there are a ton of plug ins that you can get. I used one other free trial program and it was pretty convoluted.
As for the camera. Well you already have it so use it. Don't know anything about it but the internet is a good place to search..enjoy.

Congrats on the new system...I personally recommend Premiere Elements as well...

Regarding the camera - I have been using a PC110 for about 6 years now, and am still very happy with the results (28th Street Productions - Dive Log) - I'm not familiar with the housing, I use a Sea&Sea, but your camera has the same "capture" elements as the PC110 (the 120 adds bluetooth capability)...so the image results should be consistent with my experience.

Congrats again, and looking forward to seeing the results...

I have been about to mess around with the camera a little and have been very pleased. I have alot to still learn about it. I have been do soem dry land training and am sure that will help out until I get in the water with it again.

For right now I am just using Movie Maker. I am still looking around to see what will work best for me. I hope to have a few videos posted in the ner future. I have been busy with work and studying for DiveCon so the video has been placed on the back burner.

Back
Top Bottom