sony hc-3 and light & motion housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to UW video and I want a good quality system that can be used semi-professionaly and professionaly. Does anyone have experience with this system? Do I need to step up to the FX-1? Will the HC-3 end product be similar in quality to the FX-1 end product? I am not averse to spending the money but I am concerned with getting way over my head with the fx-1 system and I am wondering if the HC-3 set up will do the trick. Also, how is the quality of the HC-3 if you use it out of the water?

Thanks for any advice and tips.

Besides the video quality, are you considering the size difference ?

Yes. I have been involved in a lot of video work for various outdoor tv shows but this was all above the water and we used Canon XlS cameras. My understanding is the Sony FX-1 is similar in size to the canons but I have seen the HC-3 and that thing is tiny. I would guess the larger cameras and housings are much more stable underwater but that is one of the factors I am weighing at the moment. We want to get started and get familiar with underwater video but I don't want to just jump in the deep end so to speak with a 12-15k system and then decide after one month that we should have purchased something else.

I chose an HC1 in an Amphibico housing. At the time I could've bought anything I wanted but for me the deciding factor was that the housed FX-1 was so big that it would automatically have been checked luggage. My EVO travels in my carry-on roller.

My EVO (and I'm sure the L&M Bluefin) are heavy enough that stability is not an issue for me. otoh, it might be with the Seatool housing since it's so compact and made partially of some sort of high-strength plastic.

Something midway between the two is the new HDR-FX7/HVR-V1. It seems to be about the size of a VX1000 only HD. No housings for it yet that I'm aware of but I'm sure L&M, Amphibico, Ikelite and Gates will have one soon.

Or if you want something a little better, Gates is now housing the XL H1 and the Pan. HVX200.

sjspeck:
I chose an HC1 in an Amphibico housing. At the time I could've bought anything I wanted but for me the deciding factor was that the housed FX-1 was so big that it would automatically have been checked luggage. My EVO travels in my carry-on roller.

My EVO (and I'm sure the L&M Bluefin) are heavy enough that stability is not an issue for me. otoh, it might be with the Seatool housing since it's so compact and made partially of some sort of high-strength plastic.

Something midway between the two is the new HDR-FX7/HVR-V1. It seems to be about the size of a VX1000 only HD. No housings for it yet that I'm aware of but I'm sure L&M, Amphibico, Ikelite and Gates will have one soon.

Or if you want something a little better, Gates is now housing the XL H1 and the Pan. HVX200.

The FX1 housings are big. No doubt about it.

I think to some extent it depends on where/what you are shooting.

The FX1 is 3CCD, as opposed to the HC3 (1 CMOS?). I think this gives the FX1 the advantage in low light situations.

The FX7 has 3 CMOS (but only 1/4") and is still pretty big. Also, I dont think anyone has tried it U/W yet.

I got the FX1 in the Light and Motion Bluefin housing because most of my video will be taken in the relatively murky waters of Southern California, Seattle and Canada.

If I were shooting clear warm water, I might consider the HC3, but there since you need to lug less gear, the size difference of the FX1 might be tolerable.

I think you get better control over the image with the FX1 also.

However, I haven't gotten mine wet yet (waiting for the camera to arrive :)

i do know that with the FX1 I will not sell my smaller SD housing as sometimes the FX1 will just be too much to lug around.

Also check out the forums on wetpixel.com -- you might find some good info there.

My wife recently bought the HC-3 with the L&M housing. I have been using a TRV-950 in a USVH housing for the past 4 years. It's great watching our last 2 dive trips in HD off the tape, but we've noticed that the 3 chip TRV-950 produces better color rendition when comparing each video shot on the same dives/conditions. Also under poor conditions, i.e. particulates, low light, the HC-3 loses autofocus more often than the TRV-950. I don't know what your professional end use will be, but there is little consumer market for HD DVD at the moment. If your goal is professional UW video, IMHO get the best camera you can. Topside the HC-3 produces nice video, but has limited external mic input if you need high quality sound.

As far as I know, there is no easy way to set manual white balance underwater with the HC3. In my experience MWB is a huge benefit for underwater video.

I just got a FX7 and anxiously await for the housing guys. My trusty TRV900 and Gates housing is up for sale if you know anyone interested.

ronrosa:
As far as I know, there is no easy way to set manual white balance underwater with the HC3. In my experience MWB is a huge benefit for underwater video.

I just got a FX7 and anxiously await for the housing guys. My trusty TRV900 and Gates housing is up for sale if you know anyone interested.

I think the Light & Motion housing lets you access white balance on HC3 (via a push-button onto the P-menu -- not too elegant but it works)

I think it it is "full" WB but I could be mistaken.

If L&M does have access to MWB, it is definitely worth looking into and confirming.

I personally hate using the screen to make manual adjustments on my PC350. Many times I need to scroll or go to submenus to get to what I need. Some menus fill the whole screen so it takes several screen touches to get there and then a few more to get out. Ugh.

ronrosa:
If L&M does have access to MWB, it is definitely worth looking into and confirming.

For sure you have access to WB (I have seen it with my eyes)

Go to the L&M link and go to the gallery then select the side-view with the transparent panel -- that's where you access the WB from. Rumor was that they improved the mechanism @ DEMA too.

I personally hate using the screen to make manual adjustments on my PC350. Many times I need to scroll or go to submenus to get to what I need. Some menus fill the whole screen so it takes several screen touches to get there and then a few more to get out. Ugh.

http://www.uwimaging.com/HC3/index.htm

L&M:
The HD Revolution is marching on with the introduction of the BlueFin HC3. Housing size and weight continue to shrink as performance improves. An advanced new control set allows the user to access the touch screen menu to provide for One-Touch White Balance, Tele Macro Mode and Smooth Slow Motion. This is a great time to be shooting underwater video.

Back
Top Bottom