Sony HDR-SR1 for Christmas! How to do i get started?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LJinFLA

Contributor
Reaction score
I got a Sony HDR-SR1 for Christmas and am looking for a housing. Wow, what a range of choices. What do I need to really look for for getting started in underwater video?

-What housing Brands are good?
-Electronic versus mechanical? Which is more reliable/leak proof?
-External LCD versus mirror, versus other solution?
-Do I really need hydrophones? What will they pick up other than bubble sounds?
-Fish eye lenses or flat glass window?
-Should i buy a wide angle lense for it?
-Do i need to get one that allows changing of color filters while underwater?
-Given the startup costs of this, I am thinking I may start with a mount for my HID Light Cannon for lighting when needed and see where I go from there. Is this adequate for a starter?

I don't imaging that i will find a used housing for this new camera so where do I look for the best prices on housings? How much should I really spend for a starter housing ( if that concept even exists)?

Any starting advice and referrals to other underwater video sites would be helpful.
Thanks,

LJ

Looks that your camcorder is a version of HC3 that records to a hard drive instead of tape so IMHO any housing that can accommodate HC3 will accommodate your new camcorder. From another point of view after I've done some research, there are some problems that you should consider before you spend more money.
This camcorder doesn't have a fire wire output, just usb that is not so great for uploading to a PC and on top of that it's recording in AVCHD format that is not supported by any NLE software not even Sony Vegas.
Another thing to consider is that 30GB of hard drive in HD will give you 2 1/2 hours of recoding, after that you'l have to download the content to a computer in order to get more recording.
I hope I was helpful.

paulpost:
Looks that your camcorder is a version of HC3 that records to a hard drive instead of tape so IMHO any housing that can accommodate HC3 will accommodate your new camcorder. From another point of view after I've done some research, there are some problems that you should consider before you spend more money.
This camcorder doesn't have a fire wire output, just usb that is not so great for uploading to a PC and on top of that it's recording in AVCHD format that is not supported by any NLE software not even Sony Vegas.
Another thing to consider is that 30GB of hard drive in HD will give you 2 1/2 hours of recoding, after that you'l have to download the content to a computer in order to get more recording.
I hope I was helpful.

Thanks for the reply Paul. Yes I wasa bit dissapointed in the the USB 2 vs. Frewire thing. The Camera came with a simply Editing package. I haven't payed with it yet, but i would have to believe it was adequate for the beginner and that software would have to come out for this codec since Sony has now issued it's two latest cameras in this format. But you are right you can never tell.

What HD format is preferable? Are there any Consumer HD cameras in this price range that have the features you mention. Are they in the compact form factor of this unit? I guess it is not too late to return this thing if there are better alternatives in this price range. Please let me know what you think and thanks in advance.

LJ

paulpost:
will give you 2 1/2 hours of recoding, after that you'l have to download the content to a computer in order to get more recording.
I hope I was helpful.

Oh, Also just an FYI, the documentation for the SR1 says that the four supported HD bitrates allow the following storage times on the 30G hard drive:

AVCHD 5M Bit Rate (LP - Long Play) - 11 hours
AVCHD 7M Bit Rate (SP - Standard Quality) - 8h 30m
AVCHD 9M Bit rate (HQ - High Quality) - 7 hours
AVCHD 15M Bit Rate (XP - Highest Quality) - 4 hours

I am not particulary concerned about the whole download to a computer thing because i always bring my laptop along on dive trips anyway, due to my work and the fact that my dive logs and still pictures need to get downloaded too. Though it is not on the boat (except live-aboards) it is always with me due to work anyway.

LJinFLA:
I got a Sony HDR-SR1 for Christmas and am looking for a housing. Wow, what a range of choices. What do I need to really look for for getting started in underwater video?

-Electronic versus mechanical? Which is more reliable/leak proof?
-Given the startup costs of this, I am thinking I may start with a mount for my HID Light Cannon for lighting when needed and see where I go from there. Is this adequate for a starter?

Any starting advice and referrals to other underwater video sites would be helpful.
Thanks,

LJ
I'm no pro but here is my opinion. First of all dig out the credit card because you are going to need it. There is no such thing as cheap video gear.

Another good web site is wetpixels.com. There is a lot of experience on that board.

For housing I would say to do a search and see what you come up with. Your camera may be one that is hard to fit. Gates, Ikelite, Ocean Images, are a couple that come to mind.

Electronic vesus manual...the big down fall for the manual is that once you flood, and you will, you have to find the same camera. That may not be an issue now but it will be sooner or later. With electronic you might be limited to what controls you have but most you can put multiple cameras in. I own a Ocean Images Dolphin and if I can put it in and it has a LANC port for the controls, I'm set. Also some electronic manufacturers will add a manual control. I think the HC3 is one that they do that with for the white balance controls.

I use a internal LCD so I can't help on the other options. If you have room for an internal let me know I can probably hook you up with a set up for about half what the manufacturer will charge.
Hydrophone, I wouldn't use them. My camera picks up my breathing as well as BC inflating and everything in between. Also it is another failure point.

Flat or fisheye, wide angle. Personally I have a flat glass and am going with a wide. Don't know what I am going to get as far as video but I think I will like it better. With the wide you give up your macro (close up). Some housings allow you to change filter, lens, while underwater. Flat versus fish, has to do with the focus point, I think.
Color filter is pretty much a must unless you want to do a lot of color corretion while editing...if editing is possible.

Using the light cannon is done by some but from what I have heard most will say that they are very heavy. Since you already have the light I would say go for it. If you change your mind and want something better you could probably use the arms and mount for others.

That should give you enough information to make you say...what the heck have I gotten started into!!?

Regarding the AVCHD format and compatibility read the following link:

http://www.avchd-info.org/

The HDR-SR1 and Ikelite 6039.11 is a good combination.

The benefit of a hard drive storage in a HD camera should be obvious (big files). High storage capacity with high write rate is a mandatory.

USB2 has been chosen as the means of transfer/communication for a good reason. Compatibility with the majority of computers and speed.

You have chosen well.

Now, how do I contact your Father Xmas:wink:

crpntr133:
...Electronic vesus manual...the big down fall for the manual is that once you flood, and you will, you have to find the same camera...

Plenty of people out there who never had a flood. Both manual and electronic owners. There was a poll on another uw photo/video board on floods. The majority of people never had a flood, those who did, most listed the reason as their own error.
:coffee:

OK then once you decide to upgrade then you have to buy a new housing as well. Not saying that manual controls are bad just pointing out this issue.
It only makes sense that it would be user error.

Mid-level Electronic: Ocean Images Top Dawg or USVH
Mid-level Mechanical: Ikelite, maybe Equinox

High-end Electronic: Light & Motion or Amphibico
High-end Mechanical: Gates

Links to all the above are here.

-Electronic versus mechanical?
For me it was electronic. I recently purchased my second electronic housing so maybe I'm biased. I like being able to concentrate on what's in the viewfinder by having all the controls on one control grip. And the ease of loading is a factor for me also. I have read of mechanical controls slipping off during a dive if they're not positioned right at the start - due to user error - not a function of the housing.
Which is more reliable/leak proof?
Both/neither. There used to be a problem with some electronic controls but people who claim that now are playing old tapes. Especially with the mfr's I've listed. The biggest factor in keeping your housing leak proof is operator error, make sure you clean and inspect the o-rings on the sealing surfaces of your housing all the time. I've had no leaks in 4+ years of filming. And we do a lot of dives, 20+/wk. is normal on trips. I also never open my housing except in a clean dry place unless it's essential.
External LCD is probably the best, costliest solution. Ikelite's been doing the mirror for years. Problem with the mirror is that pans are backward. They've recently started offering reversing circuitry on their higher end housings to correct this but I've read there's some other electronic limitation when using it - not sure of the details so you might ask them. Another option with Ocean Images, Light & Motion or USVH is an internal LCD mounted at the back of the housing. If your camcorder is HD, there's no good solution available yet. Amphibico is working on an External HD Monitor but it's going to be about $2200 from what I've heard.
I have one. I pick up bubbles, people on DPV's I'm diving with, anchor chain rattles. Last summer the crunch of bones as the sharks tore apart the feed ball during a shark feed. I do a lot of diving in Hawaii so if I'm ever lucky enough to see/hear Humpbacks off the Molokini backside, I'd kind of like to get that on tape. Or dolphin clicks.
My personal taste runs to a standard port that will do semi-wide angle. I have the standard lens on my camera and shoot mostly at wide-angle settings for anything under about 10'. I do have a full zoom-thru port for those longer clear water shots - it cost more. But I tend to shoot more panoramic stuff and shots of fish swimming in open water. If you're interested in macro work, you'll want a w/a lens on your camera/housing.
You'll want to remove the filter above about 15' or everything will be yellow. Most of the better manufacturers build an internal flip filter into their housings. You won't change colors during a dive, you'll either be using a blue filter in the tropics or a green filter in green water.
If you do that, use the diffuser with it, otherwise the beam will be too focused. If you're handy, you can fabricate a cheap arm using loc-line tubing, it's what Gates/Night Rider use.
I don't imaging that i will find a used housing for this new camera so where do I look for the best prices on housings? How much should I really spend for a starter housing ( if that concept even exists)?
You might find used housings on eBay. Two that might work are the Top Dawg II or the Ocean Images Dolphin. The Dolphin won't be as customized to your camera as their dedicated housing would be though. You can get into a basic mid-level housing for around $1000. The upper end housings start at between $2-3000 depending on features, ports etc.

Reputable vendors (my personal list):
B&H Photo Video
Backscatter
Reef Photo & Video
H20PhotoPros

Wetpixel.com
Digital Diver.net
UWDV.com

Link to a good Underwater Video training DVD. And a good book.

PM if you have other questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom