Sony NEX-5N flash problem in Nauticam housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Inon Z240 strobe which fires from the camera's flash. The Nauticam housing has a small leaver which allows the flash to rise under spring pressure or pushes it down to shut off. On my last trip the flash would not rise. It seems to have become either sticky or the spring has become weaker.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? To overcome this, I manually turned the strobe on or off, leaving the internal flash up. Therefore the NEX-5N always thought the flash was on.

I can't seem to find these small flashes for sale but it might be covered by warranty if I need to replace it.

Thanks

I've left my Inon strobe on for the majority of a dive before (several times actually). You just have to be careful that your modeling light doesn't stay on for the entire dive. I don't think it matters on the models with the LED modeling lights, but the older strobes with non-led modeling lights can overheat, and destroy the strobe (melts plastic, circuits, etc.)

You might try using some rubbing alcohol to clean the spring/lever/flash door mechanism on the camera and make sure there's no debris inside the case blocking it from rising. I'd be careful and think twice about using any lubricants. A trip to the local repair store might be in order.

Thanks for the comments. I did ensure I had the base plate fully screwed in.

I could have tried rubbing alcohol but wanted to be careful since it was still under warranty. I emailed Reef Photo and they thought it may be the flash.

Since it was still under warranty I brought it into a Sony store and they were kind enough to replace it on the spot. I tried the new one and it works perfectly in the housing.

Thanks for the comments.

Hello i had that same problem with sony nex-7 and nautica case, after few month strobe on/off switch stop to work property,a had also ghost-flash on the picture.
I did my own modification, if you steel have that problems a can send you picture about that modification.

sorry form my English

I've left my Inon strobe on for the majority of a dive before (several times actually). You just have to be careful that your modeling light doesn't stay on for the entire dive. I don't think it matters on the models with the LED modeling lights, but the older strobes with non-led modeling lights can overheat, and destroy the strobe (melts plastic, circuits, etc.)

He mean the camera flash not the strobe

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 10:23 AM ----------

I have an issue with my NEX7 housing. The lever will not push the button to let the flash pop up and wont drop the flash down either. I assume it is an issue with the housing not the camera?

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 10:23 AM ----------

Hello i had that same problem with sony nex-7 and nautica case, after few month strobe on/off switch stop to work property,a had also ghost-flash on the picture.
I did my own modification, if you steel have that problems a can send you picture about that modification.

sorry form my English

Please send pictures. I am very interested

---------- Post added February 11th, 2014 at 01:24 PM ----------

Diverdun were you able to make the flash pop up manually with your finger on the camera itself?

Hello,
i used metal strap probably aluminium and two-compnent glue to metal,
i cheched it 3 months ago and it works. IMG_0004_1.jpgIMG_0003_1.jpg

As i see resolution of this jpeg files has resized automaticlly, a can send on the emile address
beter resolution

Thx did you have problems with both pop up and put down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom