sony rx100 m2 first set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used the Meikon housing on my RX100 on a couple of dive trips, the first one with only 8 dives or so, and it being a new housing and the the RX100 sat there untouched for 9 months or so, thus remembering how all the features are to be accessed without the rear ring control was a challenge. I realized it has problems with performing white balance in quite blue environment and was befuddled with the constant error while performing WB. On my next trip, I just accepted one of those successful WB attempt which got stored as custom WB, and with 26 dives on that trip, the housing, even though I was very wary due to the single o-ring design, did not leak. It could be due to the white o-ring, which I can examine for any dust that might land on it, or the fact the boat I was on had air guns to blast off any dust, sand or lint off the o-ring. Plus, I frequently switched off the camera when not shooting to preserve the battery, requiring me to swap out the battery 3x (around 1 batt every 7-8 dives), as compared to a RX100 IV user seem to be swapping out every 2 dives.

I compensated for the lack of rear dial by using 2 custom modes, one being forced flash to control the external strobes, manual mode with shutter set at 1/500, front ring controls aperture (set at 5.6), and I adjust the aperture basically to change the background brightness (later I change the shutter to 1/200, since I found out I often had to dial the aperture to 2.8 or wider. The other custom mode was natural light mode, with no flash, shutter priority and using the preset WB (I usually would do a manual WB once in a while, but this camera precluded me from doing it). Both settings are on low 100 or 200 ISO had the lens slightly zoomed in to avoid vignetting of my Inon dome lens. Once in a while when I press 'movie' button, the image is extremely dark, I guess the movie button takes the setting currently on the camera, and if I was on 1/250 sec, it is too dark for movies, but I just switch shutter speed or switch to movie mode and I can film the scene. The good thing is that I can film a scene in the corrected WB (if I am in custom mode 2, or switch from custom mode 2 to movie mode).

The Meikon housing is more or less like the std underwater housing that each camera mfg makes for their camera. I had ithe front ring slip once or twice, usually after taking the camera out to change batteries. It is likely due to the camera not sitting as snug toward the front as it should. The buttons are a little close to each other, since they are directly on top of the actual buttons on the camera, instead of using those actuators with extension arms to spread the buttons further apart. The first few times, I forgot which is the movie button since it is so close to the others and of the same color. The glass port does not sit absolutely flush with the camera's front lens, thus the Inon type II wet lens does not sit absolutely flush with the housing's lens port (like it does on my old Oly PT-015 housing for the C-5050Z) requiring me to zoom in slightly to avoid vignetting (which as described above, I have done in my custom modes, and it was still not enough, given most of my pictures still has slight vignetting.) Unscrewing and re-screwing on the wet lens underwater is a PITA since it does not have vent holes for water to come in and out, not something you want to do if you dive straight into rough waters, best to screw it in the rinse tank and fill that gap with fresh water.

As for the Sony MPK-URX100A housing, it does not seem to have the ability to control the real dial, that knob is to adjust the mode dial, thus not providing any additional functional advantage over the Meikon. Dual o-ring would also make me less paranoid about o-ring prep in non-clean room environment. Issues I see is the lens port is quite recessed (and doesn't seem to be vented), thus the rear of the wet lens will be sitting quite far away from the housing's port and subsequently the camera's lens, resulting in more vignetting. You can see it here:

isompkurx100_14.jpg

W

Last edited:
one major thing i see is not having a thread front port... the RX100 becomes a very very very good marco/wide angle camera with the correct added lens.

i checked.. under the related products tag... u see RX100 from mk 1 to mk 5! i am curious to see how it can fit all of them...

B&H and Adorama both list the Sony housing as having an m67 thread on the port. Hopefully that's accurate.

I think Lwang is right though--the rear control doesn't look to be usable on the Sony unfortunately.

I also looked at the newer Meikon aluminum housings when I was doing research, but I couldn't find much info on them out there. They look nicely made and only around $550 compared to much higher prices for other brands. On a budget, that's a nice savings, but still pricey. Going for the RX100 II is a fantastic performance/cost ratio at this point, but it kind of feels odd to be spending so much to house a camera that is a few years old already and outdated by multiple releases.

If they had an aluminum housing for my camera, I would get it. I would like to be able to take my camera deeper than 40m. But, if I wasn't planning to take it deeper, I would stick with the plastic housing that I have. $300 extra dollars just for some kind of piece of mind or something on 130' or less dives would not be worth it to me. Not unless it allowed me to use other lenses (which is obviously not an option for the RX100).

Guys thanks for the detailed replies, I kind of stopped receiving alerts on this! I will go for the meikon I think, it's 140$ online.

I really want to use the UR PRO internal red filter (I loved it on my go pro, it is worth the extra money imo), but I cannot understand which size i need to buy... i emailed and called urpro but I go no reply! :-( Any idea?

URPRO Patented Underwater Correction Filters

Guys thanks for the detailed replies, I kind of stopped receiving alerts on this! I will go for the meikon I think, it's 140$ online.

I really want to use the UR PRO internal red filter (I loved it on my go pro, it is worth the extra money imo), but I cannot understand which size i need to buy... i emailed and called urpro but I go no reply! :-( Any idea?

URPRO Patented Underwater Correction Filters
internal filters are great if your housing has a flip up lever to move the filter out of the way when not needed. my old amphibico video housings did this. i am not aware of any current housing that does this.

internal filters are great if your housing has a flip up lever to move the filter out of the way when not needed. my old amphibico video housings did this. i am not aware of any current housing that does this.

i think i will need all the time anyway. I am planning to shoot ambient light and diving only... but I cannot figure out the size... there are many options and I cannot fully understand them

The Meikon housings have an m67 thread on the front, which is 67mm.

Looks like those URPRO filters aren't mounted so you'd have to attach them some other way (probably internally like giffenk was pointing to).

Magic Filter should have a 67mm option if you want to go that route.

UR pro has the option of both external and internal. The internal is a plastic thingy you can attach to the camera, but i cannot figure out the right size...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom