Sosua Dom Republic dive report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDave65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just returned from a short trip to Sosua, north coast of Dom Republic near Puerto Plata. About my 5th trip there in 7-8 years. The diving is average but the town is fun so I always make a few dives for something to do during the day.

I made several dives on the wreck Zingara, which I have been on many times before. Still a great wreck dive, altho pretty deep at 116 feet. Also made one dive on the site the locals call "mini-wall"; the reefs near Sosua are not spectacular; I go there mostly for the night life as opposed to diving.

Bad news is the lionfish infestation....I had NEVER seen a single lionfish there before and now I found 6 or so on the wreck and on one dive on a reef counted 18 lionfish on a 45 minute dive. Wish I had a speargun with me, I would have whacked them all, although it probably would have done no good.

I dove with North Coast Divers and Scuba Elite Divers, both good outfits. If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive place to get certified or take an advanced course, Sosua might be a good spot.

The area was not affected by the earthquake in Haiti, although many people in town are from Haiti.

Tourism is down overall there and the place is about half empty compared to previous trips I've taken.

Great report. I lived in Cabarete for 2 years and was diving in Sosua during that time, also with North Coast Divers (Scuba Elite wasn't there yet). Unfortunately the lion fish are everywhere, they started showing up there before I left 2 and half years ago.

The north coast is not as busy as it used to be, one of the reasons are the world crisis and another one is that the hotel structure is changing there. Lots of resorts are being remodeled and sold as condos, so there are more part time residents then tourists.

A friend of mine will be flying into Santiago, DR on Feb 23 and leaving Feb 26th, but would like to sample some of the local diving while he's there. He's PADI open-water certified but it's been a year since he's been under the water, so he'd benefit from a skills review. Any suggestions on a dive operation that he should contact for a two-tank dive while he's in the area?

Thanks in advance for any & all information.

Thanks so much for the referral. I've sent them an e-mail.

North Coast diving is good I also liked diving with Elite Scuba in Sosua recently, a good bunch of people. I don't think you'd go wrong with either company. And they all pretty much use the same small boats for diving on the beach!!

Back
Top Bottom