Source for dive site coordinates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the MotionX GPS app on my iPhone. I use it to record the position of dive sites. The one exception is on some local Lake Michigan wreck dives - some charter captains don't want people to record the GPS coordinates of wreck sites - but there are approximate locations in the books by Chris Kohl.

I use Dive Log for iPhone and it can do that too. I just want the coordinates for the actual sites so I can see them on the map. I think it's funny about captains not wanting people using gps. It's not like the wreck is a secret. :)

If anyone is looking for GPS coordinates for dive sites, we are building a database of them from all available sources. Go to: www.worldwidescuba.org and click on the dive map to start searching. We only have about 500 in there now, but are adding more as fast as we can.

Most sites are public but there are some, such as good ledges for finding teeth or hunting, that the dive ops do not want to share their coordinates. For understandable reasons.

I use Dive Log for iPhone and it can do that too. I just want the coordinates for the actual sites so I can see them on the map. I think it's funny about captains not wanting people using gps. It's not like the wreck is a secret. :)
Finding a particular site that will bring paying customers is not a small expense. Imagine spending years learning the local waters and looking for a historic wreck or diving on random rock piles to find a sunken locomotive. And then some dipstick pulls out his GPS to snap the coordinates so he and his buddies can come muck around for souvenirs, take all the interesting game and save on the cost of the charter.

If everything was already on the map, why are people frustrated they can’t find listings of coordinates?

If anyone is looking for GPS coordinates for dive sites, we are building a database of them from all available sources. Go to: www.worldwidescuba.org and click on the dive map to start searching. We only have about 500 in there now, but are adding more as fast as we can.

Needs work. Roatan is Islas de la Bahia and Bonaire is Netherlands Antilles? Yeah right. The other issue is federation: they actually had GPS coordinates for some Roatan sites for a while and I believe added more recently. URL was posted over in the regional forum. All you need is a redirect.

Needs work. Roatan is Islas de la Bahia and Bonaire is Netherlands Antilles? Yeah right. The other issue is federation: they actually had GPS coordinates for some Roatan sites for a while and I believe added more recently. URL was posted over in the regional forum. All you need is a redirect.

I did not make the map, it is a 3rd party plugin. When I find errors or someone tells me about them, I do fix them. Those have been fixed. Thanks for letting me know.

This is done as hobby in my spare time at my own expense. The site now has 1,600 dive sites as well as the ability to just see the wrecks, planes, caves, etc. Over 1,000 of those sites also have videos of the sites attached to them now. If you see any more errors please feel free to let me know. I know it is a work in progress, but it takes time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom