Source for low-end housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to buy a good UW video sytem eventually but I just happen to have an older 8mm camera. I want to get a "seal and go" housing for it. You know, the kind with zero controls. It's not worth spending any serious money on an 8mm camera.

I'd concider making a housing too but I can't figure out a way to machine an o-ring grove using just hand tools.

I've been in the market for a low-end housing and someone on the board steered me to Aquatix's AquaCamEx http://www.aquatix.com/aquacam.htm universal housing. If I had the cash, I'd go with the middle model at just under $500 for my Panasoic DV cam. Sound like you would go for the low-end model at under $400.

As for machining an O-ring groove in a plastic cylinder like PVC or Lexan with hand tools, you may be able to put together a home-made compass jig for a router or a roto-zip.

Good Luck

ChrisA:
I want to buy a good UW video sytem eventually but I just happen to have an older 8mm camera. I want to get a "seal and go" housing for it. You know, the kind with zero controls. It's not worth spending any serious money on an 8mm camera.
I'd concider making a housing too but I can't figure out a way to machine an o-ring grove using just hand tools.
They're on eBay all the time, I've seen some sell for under $300 w/basic controls. If you have a Sony camera, there's some older electronic housings occasionally. I've even recently seen two Equinox housings with mechanical controls recently. There's a generic tube housing on eBay right now, including an LCD monitor and carrying case. Bid starting at $99. eBay item #7118321005. It looks like it might be an Aquacam, but it's not marked.

The most basic seal/go housing I've seen is made by Yellowjacket. $240 for the tube, $305 for the tube with one control.

Aquatix sells plans for $29 if you decide to DIY. A machine shop can mill the groove.

ChrisA:
Neither could I, so I had a smallish local machine shop do it. Set up was the major cost (had to set the correct machine speed for plastic, etc. So cost $60 and could have had another done for very little more (once the machione was set up, each end took about a minute with about another 2 minutes to turn the pipe end for end, so 5 minutes would have done the second one).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom