South Florida diver seeking winter wetsuit advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fdarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am about to purchase my "Winter" wetsuit. Winter being from say November through March.. I have never really dove during the winter in South Florida, so I am not sure what to expect as far as the need for exposure suits is concerned. My diving is typically between the 40 to 130 foot deep range. I should also add that I am somewhat of a cold wimp, and want to remove that as an obstacle to going diving. Most of my Florida diving will take place below Boca Raton..

That having been said, the idea of a Semi-Dry wetsuit appeals greatly to me. I am not interested in a dry suit. I am well aware they exist, but that is not what I want or need, I do know that much.

I have been eyeballing Semi-dry suits from Scubapro (Nova Scotia) Henderson (Aqualock) and Tilos. I also have noticed some other relatively inexpensive options from companies like Evo and Pinnacle.

I see the prices start at about $199.00 dollars, and go up to as high as $700.00

I guess my question is how much exposure protection am I likely to need? Im thinking about just buying a 7mm and hoping it works out for the entire season, but before I try that I thought I would ask the group - What thickness wetsuit do you think I need, and are the high dollar wetsuits worth the extra money? I can afford any of them, but do not like to waste money. I also need to buy a hood, gloves and boots, so solutions like the Henderson Aqualock, although pricey, are on the table. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to overdo it, but I also dont want to buy a bunch of wetsuits looking for the right one.

OK please keep in mind that everyone down here has a different mode and internal temp so here is how I handle it.
From June to early December I wear an Aeroskin "Poly-skin" one piece.
My dear non-diving friends call it my "Unitard".

After the water drops below about 80F I put a one piece 3/2 O'Neil over the polyskin.
When it drops below 70R or so I go to a vest with hood, over the skin, under the wetsuit.
I am just warm blooded as a rule.
About 25 years ago I wore a 3mm Farmer-John and 3mm Shortie in the winter.
I got absolutely hot in them if the water temp was anything above the upper 60's.
I am a huge fan of keeping a vest handy down here if even for the second dive, as well as an insurance policy should you encounter an cold water upwelling in the summer moths.
Night dives in the winter are a different animal.
No radiant heating and you move slower at night.
Pile it on if you find yourself being a nocturnal diver in January, February and March.
April is not an issue because the winds are so bad then that nobody dives very often down here anyway that month.

I think that if you are truly a cold water wimp then rent a 5mm one time and use your vest if you get cold and see how it works.
As far as a 7mm goes.......YUK!
I can barely move in a 5mm

I HATE HOODS!
They trap air and distort my hearing.
That drives me just nuts!
But...
To each their own.

Chug
Sadly awaiting the slaughter tomorrow evening in the Meadowlands.

I use dry suits when necessary but don't particularly care for them...I've found the Pinnacle Merinos 7mm along w/good gloves and boots and a 3-5mm vest and hot chocolate keeps me warm in 68-52 degree water for as long as I want to dive..2-4 tanks...It's a struggle and takes time to get in/out of all that noeprene [getting the right size so the total fit is snug to tight is important].. You'll have to add weight depending on your gear/size. But if you want to stay warm and avoid dry suits and don't like the cold it's what you'll need to do.........Dry suits are lighter/easier to get in/out of [front entry] and keep you warm but you'll have to learn to dive differently.....And they cost a lot more.......

A nice supper stretch 5 mil with a hooded vest would give you a bunch of layering options.......

All our diving up here is done with hoods, gloves, booties and layers......

Of course I also have 2 drysuits as well......

M

Like Chug, I'm a lycra wearing guy until the water hits about 76, then I switch to a 3mm which is good to 70. I own a 5mm but it only gets worn in the "cold years". One thing about those stretchy suits - they compress a lot when doing the deep dives.

A good "boat coat" between dives makes all the difference to me. I'm not cold in the water, it's between dives that's brutal without the boat coat.

Hopefully this will give you a good comparison. I will be diving in water than will range about 42° Sept thru Jan. Only because that is when my OW cert class and dives are. I will be wearing a 7mm ScubaPro super stretch type suit and I will possibly put a hooded vest on underneath. If I don't use the vest I will still have a hood on to cover the old noggin. My buddy wears 7mm in a farmer John for diving the summer months up here (Oregon). Oh, I will also be wearing at least 5mm gloves and boots. 7mm is pretty thick. I admit that I have never dove the Gulf Coast in the and only snorkeled it in the summer months so I can not comment on the winter temps down there. Hope this helps.

I am about to purchase my "Winter" wetsuit. Winter being from say November through March.. I have never really dove during the winter in South Florida, so I am not sure what to expect...//......

....//....Hopefully this will give you a good comparison. I will be diving in water than will range about 42° Sept thru Jan. Only because that is when my OW cert class and dives are. I will be wearing a 7mm ....//....

Most people determine what is "cold" by comparison to the conditions they experience where they live. In other words, your setpoint will vary.

I am about to purchase my "Winter" wetsuit. Winter being from say November through March.. I have never really dove during the winter in South Florida, so I am not sure what to expect...//......

I would start with a 7mm wetsuit. If it doesn't get you through the year, it sure will extend your dive season. I'm good down to the high 50's in same. You won't be.

FYI:
It takes 19# of lead to properly sink me so that a deep inhale will make me buoyant. Test conditions: my 7mm wetsuit, and a mask. (freshwater pool, no BC, no fins, no booties, pony bottle & reg lying on bottom)

Great suggestion on the boat coat. Since I am the captain for a large duration of the time, this is great advice. I saw a guy the other week on a night dive, he was wearing his hotel's bath robe on the dive! What a great idea I thought.

So i originally learned to dive in New York. Warm water there is cold water here in Florida. I generally dive here on the Treasure Coast and wander down to Jupiter, and West Palm for boat dives. I dive most of the year here in a 3mm (full wetsuit)....if the weather clears enough to dive soon, it will likely be near time to wear the 3mm hood. As we get to December and through March, i'll shift to my 7mm wetsuit. it rarely gets too cold here for the 7mm.

Most people determine what is "cold" by comparison to the conditions they experience where they live. In other words, your setpoint will vary.

Not quite sure how to take that but if it was not helpful then I apologize fellow Floridian and bid you good luck on your quest to find a suit that will fit your needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom