South Florida Shark Sightings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Minerva

The very place I have ever been to see sharks is Cocos, Costa Rica. In the first dive during the first ten seconds of the dive there were no less than 100 white tip sharks right under me. My recommendation is that you go with the undersea hunter group in August when the hammerheads aggregations are at the peak. You will see hundreds of hammerheads in one dive!

Diego

Boynton is good--I have seen a bull once while spearing and a hammerhead. I saw a big bull or a sandbar right off hillsboro inlet while not spearfishing. Here is a link to a guy spear fishing off the breakers in palm beach--awesome video

Shark vs. Me 2-18-09 on Vimeo

Yeah, you also get they rare GW on the Spar. It is a really good dive.:D

:shocked2: Hmmm, I'm not sure I wanted to know that about the occasional GW on the Spar. I dive the Spar all of the time and yes it is quite dependable for seeing a bunch of Sand Tigers.

I think they filmed a night dive on the Spar for Shark Week. I didn't get to see it :(

Seeing a shark (other than Nurse Sharks) is fairly rare for most divers. I have been diving since 1988 and have seen a few Bulls, several Reef Sharks, and one Black Tip. I will bet that they are there, just off the reef and beyond your visual range, but they are there.

I dove in Jupiter today, and saw 4 reef sharks, 2 on the first dive, and 2 on the second dive.

Lotsa big ol' catfish off of Broward very shallow (some people call them nurse sharks).
One 3' Bonnethead at twilight a few years ago in 15' also off of Broward.
One giant freakin' Hammerhead off of Palm Beach in 70' on a finger reef (Scared the crap outta me/us it came and went in about 2 seconds) New Years day 2008 off of the Little Deeper.
Reefies off of the Juno Ledges with Jupiter Dive center almost every time.
One giant Bull off of Broward about 9 years ago in 15', it saw us and blasted away at warp 6...we thought that was very polite of Mister Bull, and still appreciate the courtesy.
One 4' Lemon in the Florida Marquesas in 30' a few years ago.
Chug

I love diving in the Keys. But if you want a sure thing either check out Stuart Cove in Bahamas or Morehead City NC. 2 stories real quick. First one, In 1998 I was on the down line to the Papoose. My mind immediately went back to Raiders of the Lost Arc. The scene where Indy is looking down into the chamber and his partner asks "Why is the floor moving." And Indy say "it's not" and it turns out to be snakes. Well when I looked at the ocean floor it was moving. It wasn't snakes - it was Sand Tigers. Oh yea, when I came up that line I was greeted to a fly by by a huge manta.

Second, story. 2008 I was diving on the Spar with Alantic Beach diving. It was just the owner, his brother, and I on the whole wreck. I was told I would see sharks. I though I would see one right away but after a minute or two I turned and gave the shrk signed and then shrugged my shoulders. Just then I swam over to one of the holds and went to put my head into the hold. An at least 7-8 foot sand tiger met me face to face.

You cant be NC for totally wild large shark encounters. I have also met someone who was setting a down line when she was circled by a Great White.

Just saw a Nurse and Reef Shark at Elbow reef in Key Largo in July.

Jupiter Dive Center, tell the shop and the divemaster aboard you want to see sharks. They will most likely accommodate your wishes.

Isla del Coco
Scuba Diving Cocos Island Malpelo Liveaboard Cruises Costa Rica
"click here to enter"
Left hand side click "TRIP & GUEST REPORTS"
Top right click "ARTICLES"
Second article down "Keep peering at the edge of visibility; that is where they lurk" May 2005, Jeff Trotta is a report I wrote about my last dive there.

Galapagos and the western edge of the Little Bahama are extreme sharks spots as well.
I have a story on diving with many large sharks in Galapagos that was prevoius published in a blog. If you care to read it, let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom