South Lombok Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi all, as I’ve been living and diving in South Lombok for 7 years now, I’ve read numerous articles, blogs, and forum posts about our region and many people think South Lombok is only for the "rough and ready" adventure diver, so I feel the need to clear up a few misconceptions about the south coast of Lombok.

South Lombok, in general, presents itself as a relaxed place (some people compare it to Bali 20 years ago), and travelers of all interests (not only divers) can find a very tropical and enjoyable region to visit. One will find beautiful white sandy beaches, simple to more luxurious accommodations, friendly locals, and lots of nature and relaxation.

There are 3 unique regions in the south of Lombok Sekotong, Belongas Bay, and Kuta Bay;

Sekotong is a tropical little place with not much topside activity other than maybe renting a motorbike and exploring the coastline, snorkeling, swimming, or of course scuba diving. It's quite perfect for couples and families who just want to relax and enjoy. There isn't much touristic infrastructure (although it’s developing fairly quickly), but most accommodations have an adjacent restaurant so no one will need to go hungry (or thirsty). The scuba diving it's relaxed, colorful reef diving at very intact reefs and lots of macro life can be found.

Belongas Bay, the place where the misconceptions actually come from, is truly only for the more adventures traveler and diver. The region is basically in the middle of nowhere, and the locals don't see very much tourism there. So don't be surprised if you are approached in a quite curios manner, for some this might even feel a little disturbing. The diving around this region can prove to be very challenging (especially during the dry season from July till October), but also can be very rewarding in a sense of pelagic life. Most certainly I would only recommend diving there only to the experienced diver.

Kuta Bay is comparable to Sekotong (from the diving aspect), but offers more infrastructure and topside possibilities such as, cafes, restaurants, and accommodations. The diving there is well suited for all levels of experience, and the dive shops there also have pool facilities etc. available for all levels of courses. But it should be mentioned that Kuta is best for diving during the rainy season (November till April), as during the dry season it's subject to wind and waves (hence the time surfers love the place).

There are 2 dive shops located in South Lombok (DiveZone since 2005, Cocotinos since 2010), and I'm sure they'll be happy to give you some more detailed info about the general conditions for the particular regions.

Hope you guys come and visit, and have a great day :d

The above is an older post, but thought I would reply here instead of starting a new thread.

We are now on Gili Trawangan and moving to Gili Air for a few days. After that, we planned to go to Nusa Lembongan but we are considering trying SW Lombok. I emailed Divezone-Lombok - Scuba diving Lombok - the southern Gili islands - DiveZone Lombok - Discover South Lombok and they replied quickly. Appears as if a taxi from Bangsul down there would be about 50 USD. Rooms range 25-60 USD but no aircon (and it's hot and humid here on Gili T), so not sure about the comfort factor there. I also saw Cocotinos resort website, and rooms they are min 140 USD/night, although the comfort factor looks very high.

Finally, there's the issue of getting back to Sanur. Not really want to take a 5-hour public ferry to Padang Bai then a long ride in the car, vs. a 35-minute boat ride to Sanur from Nusa Lembongan.

Any opinions on whether it's worth the trip and money at this time of year (vs. Nusa lembongan)?

Positives: The diving around Belongas Bay is on par with the diving around Komodo. It is that good. DiveZone are good people. The bungalows they use (or own?) there are really nice. You will get to see the real Lombok and Indonesia- not the facade of the GIlis and south Bali. Belongas bay is BEAUTIFUL topside and below.

Negatives: Getting there is not easy- really, really not easy- there are reasons it is "undiscovered." Odd are good you won't see hammerheads this time of year.

Is it worth it? For me: absolutely.

Just a heads up there are fast ferries from Lombok/Gili T to Sanur - public ferry+drive may be optional. Google for operators, but e.g. Scoot, which runs fast boats to Nusa Lembongan, also runs fast boats to Lombok and Gili T. Haven't taken one myself, but have frequently seen them advertised.

I was researching South Lombok myself a few months ago, and found a couple interesting posts on this board, but mostly about the pelagic dives (hammerheads) - not as much about reefs.
Will be interested to read more recent reports.

Finally, there's the issue of getting back to Sanur. Not really want to take a 5-hour public ferry to Padang Bai then a long ride in the car, vs. a 35-minute boat ride to Sanur from Nusa Lembongan.

Any opinions on whether it's worth the trip and money at this time of year (vs. Nusa lembongan)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Decided to give it a miss this time, and head from Gili Air to Nusa Lembongan tomorrow. But I think we will put it on the itin for next year, and just book a flight into Lombok and go to SW Lombok upon arrival. Seems like that is the easier way to do it.

Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom