Southern Belize Needs Your Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spoken like a person who cannot get their head out of the US. As a business owner in the US, I'd agree with you. Belize is not the US. Politics aren't like the US although the US seems to be headed the same way. Votes are bought. They are bought with immigration floods. They are bought with free land. I'm sure they are bought other ways too.

The business landscape is similarly different. The protectionist laws seem to be ignored for certain people and enforced vigorously for others.

One from the US must totally forget their whole way of thinking to understand the business and politics there. Many people move to Belize and try to run a business as it would be run in the us. They either adapt or fail almost immediately.

My point is that trying to impose a US business paradigm to judge businesses in a developing nation is useless

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

They either adapt or fail almost immediately.

That's exactly what I said: Adapt to the conditions or fail.

Whining that you don't like cruise ships or day tourists is non-productive. Adapting to make money from them is profitable.

Read the university study again! It says that cruise ships have a negative impact on overnight tourism to the extent that the overall economic impact on the country is negative!

That's exactly what I said: Adapt to the conditions or fail.

Whining that you don't like cruise ships or day tourists is non-productive. Adapting to make money from them is profitable.

It is not just that. The overall damage doesn't compensate, can't compensate. Look at what NCL is doing/planning to do to the little caye where they intend to dock. Heartbreaking.

Read the university study again! It says that cruise ships have a negative impact on overnight tourism to the extent that the overall economic impact on the country is negative!

That assumes that the single study you found is correct and actually proves your point, which is doesn't seem to.

I also find it hard to believe that a ship or two dropping off a few thousand people for a few hours, a few times per week to hang out near the dock, can upset the entire economy of Belize, which when last reported was about $1.5B.

In any case, you're also assuming that it's more effective to try to stop a deal between your corrupt government and a multi-billion dollar corporation, than it is to adapt to the new conditions to take advantage of them.

---------- Post added May 16th, 2014 at 09:41 AM ----------

It is not just that. The overall damage doesn't compensate, can't compensate. Look at what NCL is doing/planning to do to the little caye where they intend to dock. Heartbreaking.

It's always sad to lose a chunk of reef; however if you want to feel bad about something in Belize try this.

Pretty soon, the country will be known for it's sand dunes and desert.

Last edited:

I think real world examples will dispute that study. I can easily point to many of the big cruise ship destinations - using Cozumel as an example and it's well known that many people who go to Cozumel do so repeatedly for extended dive vacations over and over again were first exposed to the place because of a 1 day cruise ship stop.

You can't just wash your hands of the real truth that opportunities are what you make of them. The government of Belize holds the future in their hands not the cruise ship lines. How they manage the opportunity how they use the hundreds or thousands of new tourists being introduced to their country every week is all up to them, they can squander the opportunity or they can manipulate it to their advantage while not selling their souls.

Painting this as the citizens and government of Belize have no control of their future is just playing the victim card.

There are plenty of examples for the government of Belize to go tour and examine and study of how other countries have succeeded and failed in welcoming cruise ships to their countries for them to draw from and take the best of and avoid the worst.

I pointed out in post 14 that the study doesn't provide any evidence to support your statement.

I realize that it is a little hard to understand as the study includes complex equations, statistics and uses big words but for example says "We observe a strong crowding out effect for the US Virgin Islands (-35.4%), the Bahamas (-33.3%) and Porto Rico (-29.5) see Figure 3. Like I say, re-read the report

Flots am, I'm aware of that and more. Shall we all just turn a blind eye to everything because of all of the other "things" that are wrong, damaging to us all not just little tiny Belize?

You should go on an educational speaking tour around Belize. Teach the rascals not to be rascals. Teach the corrupt to not be selfish. Educate the masses (I use the term loosely) on how to resist the corruption and become MBAs.

Botha sides are beating a dead horse. You are all making the same arguments and running around in circles.

Ralph please continue with the updates.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom