Southern Belize Needs Your Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love the T-shirt tho'. So Belizean. :)

PRESS RELEASE
August 7, 2013​
S.gif
S.gif
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: BELIZE TOURISM INDUSTRY ASSOCIATION STANDS FIRMLY AGAINST MAJOR CRUISE PORT IN SOUTHERN BELIZE AND THE PROPOSED MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE AND THE GOVERNMENT OF BELIZE.
Belize City, August 7th, 2013- The Belize Tourism Industry Association (BTIA) remains firmly against establishing a major cruise port in southern Belize and the proposed memorandum of understanding between NCL and the Government of Belize. The BTIA had previously made a public statement in relation to this development at Crawl Caye and over the past couple weeks, has taken note of another option for development at Harvest Caye. The BTIA opposes this proposed development in the south of Belize for the following reasons:
BTIA has publicly supported the National Sustainable Tourism Master Plan and continues to do so as it defines the long-term plan for sustainable tourism in Belize. This plan was recently supported by government and clearly states that "pocket cruise tourism is the only acceptable form of cruise tourism on the south eastern coast of Belize." The study was emphatic that southern Belize should remain an eco-friendly low impact destination. The BTIA supports this plan and the continued growth of the overnight tourism in this area. The environmental damage the cruise port and quantity of persons from the cruise visits would cause to the pristine marine surroundings and the potential economic and natural resources lost is incompatible with long term sustainability and development of Belize's tourism industry. The media has brought to the forefront a draft copy of the proposed Memorandum of Understanding with Belize Island Holdings. There are concerns about some of the clauses in this agreement. Government is giving significant concessions to a large international company for local development. Local developers are not able to get these concessions nor is it feasible for government to be giving away these funds, to support a large multimillion company. Belize cannot be giving away more than the country would receive. The MOU is outlining tax exemptions for all necessary machinery and equipment, including specialized machinery and equipment and spare parts, building material, fixtures and fittings, terrestrial and marine vehicles, including aqua-sport equipment, to establish the port and mainland facility available under the Fiscal Incentive Act. But it also entails the return of $4 of every $7 dollars collected in head taxes to the Cruise Line. The current overnight sector, which is the mainstay of the tourism industry, with continued average growth can earn in excess of $2 billion dollars when compared to the average growth of the cruise sector over the same period as outlined in the Tourism Master Plan. The National BTIA remains steadfastly opposed to the introduction of mass cruise tourism to southern Belize. The BTIA asks that government takes a step back and brings these proposals to the public and private sectors and together define a policy toward cruise tourism, develop policies and programs that will promote the long term economic, social and environmental well being of Belize. The BTIA urges the Cabinet and the Ministry of Tourism to re-consider all the ramifications of this proposed project and reject it outright and immediately.
Herbert Haylock​
President​
Belize Tourism Industry Association​
btiapresident@gmail.com​

Its beginning to look like the BTIA has a hidden agenda, for example, being in league with the Royal Caribbean International or Walt Disney Corporation.

With this bickering I'm going to Thailand instead, rather than Southern Belize.

Its beginning to look like the BTIA has a hidden agenda, for example, being in league with the Royal Caribbean International or Walt Disney Corporation.

I know some of the people at BTIA very well and can vouch that they do not have a hidden agenda. I have no idea as to why you would make such a suggestion. Note that the BTIA position is supported by the Placencia Village Council - our elected representatives in this area.

Regards
Ralph

I think is important to keep an eye on this issue.

With this bickering I'm going to Thailand instead, rather than Southern Belize.

Really? I can't imagine how BTIA's opposition to mass cruise ship tourism would effect current plans to visit southern Belize in any way. It's not like there's rioting in the streets. At most you might see a poster or two on a wall somewhere or run across a newspaper article.

Given the BTIA's position, I find it hard to believe they could welcome Disney or Royal Caribbean under the same plan.

I admire BTIA for the stand it's taking. Southern Belize, especially the Toledo District, is third world dirt poor. It would be very tempting to take an immediate dollar where ever one could find it, even at the expense of the long term well being of the country.

Really? I can't imagine how BTIA's opposition to mass cruise ship tourism would effect current plans to visit southern Belize in any way. It's not like there's rioting in the streets. At most you might see a poster or two on a wall somewhere or run across a newspaper article.

Given the BTIA's position, I find it hard to believe they could welcome Disney or Royal Caribbean under the same plan.

I admire BTIA for the stand it's taking. Southern Belize, especially the Toledo District, is third world dirt poor. It would be very tempting to take an immediate dollar where ever one could find it, even at the expense of the long term well being of the country.

Edward3c also took a very strange and incorrect interpretation of the statistical study done by the French University (see page 2 on this thread). As he lives in Scotland, it may be that his first language is Gaelic and he simply misunderstands what is being said LOL.

CRUISE LINES

Norwegian to develop port of call in southern Belize

1rvhwD.Em.56.jpeg
A rendering of Norwegian Cruise Line's port project, which it plans to develop on land called Harvest Caye that it has purchased in southern Belize. NORWEGIAN CRUISE LINE

MIAMI HERALD STAFF

Norwegian Cruise Line has bought two islands in southern Belize to develop as a port of call for its western Caribbean cruises.
The line announced Wednesday that it had bought 75 acres in the Stann Creek and Toledo districts that previously were approved for development of a resort. Norwegian plans to invest $50 million in the Harvest Caye project, which it expects to complete in 2015.
“While the master plan for the 75 acres is still under development, the vision is to create a world-class cruise destination, consisting of two locations: an island destination with docking/tendering facilities and a mainland connection point for inland tours,” Norwegian said in a press release.
“Major components of the project are anticipated to include a floating pier, island village with open-air structures on raised platforms, marina, transportation hub for tours to the mainland, a lagoon for a variety of water sports and a relaxing beach area. The goal is to design an authentic experience grounded in the storyline of nature, ancient culture, art, adventure and music that celebrates Belizean, Mayan and Garifuna history and culture.”
Norwegian has retained IDEA Inc., an Orlando company that designs branded ports and other destinations, to design the project.
Creation of the new port will divert ships from Belize City and is expected to relieve pressure from cruise-ship visits there — something that the Belize government has been calling for.
That’s especially important since Norwegian, which has three new ships on order, expects to quadruple the number of passengers it brings to Belize.
Norwegian said it has signed a memorandum of understanding with the government of Belize that calls for adherence to Belize’s environmental standards, creation of jobs for Belizeans, and significant economic benefits for the Central American country.

Read more here: Norwegian to develop port of call in southern Belize - Just In! | Travel News - MiamiHerald.com

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

The Norwegian Cruise Deal Officially Outlined
posted (August 14, 2013)
emailicon.gif
Email Print

ncl1.aug14.13.jpg
ncl2.aug14.13.jpg
ncl3.aug14.13.jpg
For months, there’s been buzz and blowback about the proposed cruise tourism project in southern Belize spearheaded by Norwegian Cruise Line. We’ve heard a diversity of viewpoints, but we haven’t heard from Norwegian, which, we gather, didn’t want to negotiate in public. But the negotiation is just about finished because two weeks ago on the 31st of July, both sides signed an eight page, 23 point memorandum of understanding.The MOU was released to the media at a two and half hour press conference which finished about two hours ago. Due to time constraints, we can’t go into full details on that tonight, but we can provide the broad outline of the project.
Norwegian plans to invest $50 million USD Dolalrs in the Harvest Caye project, just south of Placencia which it expects to complete in 2015. They expect to create 1200 jobs during construction and once the project is underway. That outline was fleshed out by an all star cast of government leaders and Norwegian Executives at the event which was held on the sixth floor of the Matalon Building.
Minister Godwin Hulse, who heads the cabinet subcommittee on investment and who led the negotiations with Norwegian told the media Government is obliged to welcome investment…
Hon. Godwin Hulse - Minister of Labour
hulse.aug14.13.jpg
"Any investment that will create some jobs for our people - I think we need to get that in our minds. Those who are comfortable in their castles and in their little areas and have their jobs, need not to be mean because the man who doesn't have a job, is really looking for one and we are committed to helping him find one; that is the fundamental principle behind these kinds of investment. It is a very good thing because this project aims to bring more visitors to the south of our country. When people visit your country - one thing is for sure, they leave some money - you won't give them anything free. When they leave the money, hopefully, and the project is structured that the money is left in the hands of Belizeans. There is no way that we should have all these wonderful things in the south and the people in the south live in such abject poverty and I make absolutely no apology for trying to fix that."

Valdemar Andrade - Director, Cruise and Regional Initiatives
valdemarandradeaug14.13.jpg
"We have to be conscious that this will impact 30 communities within these areas and about 60 different offerings that we're looking at and so we have to be absolutely clear that we cannot allow a small set of people to show and enjoy certain things because we at the Belize Tourism Board and the Ministry of Tourism have to ensure the benefit to the masses."
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"It is not that we are out, lying down and 'licky licky', etc. we are here to protect the interest of the Belizean people because that is why we were brought to government and that is what we are going to do and we are going to do so successfully."

Colin Murphy - VP, Destination & Strategic Development,NCL
colinmurphy.aug14.13.jpg
"Probably the first thing I should do is to confirm that there has been absolutely no 'licky licky', I have no idea what that means but I'm pretty sure if I experienced it I would know about it."
So what will the project be like? Well, Hugh Darley is the Director. First off, Norwegian doesn’t intend to just build a port for cruise ships to dock at, they want to build a destination, where many of the visitors will choose to stay for the day to part-take in cultural entertainment and water recreation – while the rest go to the mainland for tours. Hugh Darley explained the destination they are envisioning.
"We want this project that we're working on to look Belizean. We don’t want it to look like a Mexican port or St. Thomas port, we want it to be unique - to have a sense of place."
Hugh Darley - Belize Project Director
hughdarley.aug14.13.jpg
"We develop destinations, we are story tellers so if anything we want to do is that when we go to a destination is that we tell a story. There's what we call a place there and there are a lot of places that you go that cruise tourism or cargo ports and when you get out - what do you see? You see warehouses and concrete. What you want to see it's there so we build a set of arrival, a set of place. It's just like writing a book - you have to have a place and time, the time and place we've picked is the heritage of Belize - starting with the Mayan, the Garifuna and the transfer of people from other parts of the Caribbean and Africa to the coast of Central America. Garifuna, why Garifuna - it's the only place in the world where we can tell that story and the effect is going to be real. We will not create a fantasy story, we will tell them the real story, the real people. We want to train and have the people tell their own story."
And while that is all fine and well, much of the opposition to the project is the effect it will have on overnight tourism – particularly the carefully cultivated overnight product on the Placencia Peninsula, which is just a few short miles from Harvest Caye. The Belize Tourism Industry Association has taken a hardline saying that the two are mutually exclusive, but today all at the head table were emphatic in saying that in fact they can complement each other:…
"I have also heard emphatically that so called cruise and over night tourism cannot co-exist. I have no idea what that means, I have no idea what cruise and over night can't exist - I don't see any reason why foreigners coming into Belize to visit our beautiful country and leave money can't co-exist. What happened, will they hate one another? You came and I came and I shouldn't have come - I don't understand that at all."
"In 2012 you had 600 or a 1000 passengers coming to Belize and the majority of them left thinking that Belize City represented Belize. We think that by showing them how beautiful the south is and introducing them to that, it will drive more over night tourism and investment by these passengers - we've seen that and proven it all around the world."
Hugh Darley - Belize Project Director
"A million people come to Belize through Cruise Tourism and what do they see? There are a million eyes that have already picked Belize once - very easy for them to say 'you know what, very good experience, I'm coming back'."
Laura Esquivel-Frampton - Director of Tourism
lauraesquivel.aug14.13.jpg
"There is no study that has been produced, there is no evidence that has been produced that says that cruise tourism negatively impacts over night tourism. In fact, our numbers as we continue to have high growth in the cruise tourism industry right now coming into Belize City- we see our numbers for over night growing exponentially."
And while that is one controversy, another is that this project deviates from the National Sustainable Tourism Master Plan which says “the only acceptable form of cruise tourism for the southeast coast of Belize is pocket cruise tourism.” And this isn’t pocket cruising, this is mega cruise tourism with the third largest cruise company in the world, giving them their only strategic location in the Western Caribbean. So then how does that square with the tourism master plan? Hulse says, the master plan must serve the ends for which it was made:…
"Plans and their plans and yes the Tourism Master Plan was endorsed, well thought out, well managed and well structured. But built in it for those who will read it carefully, as I did, is the concept of growing tourism. That concept is built in the master plan - not of shrinking tourism- the concept is to grow tourism. Therefore, there is nothing wrong and it behooves the Cabinet to decide, this is same mechanism - yes it varies from the strict letter of the master plan - but God forbid, the country and the Cabinet have not shackled by the writings in a document which purport and speak to the development of a time when it was produced."
Valdemar Andrade
"Cabinet has agreed to vary that policy because this project can fit the spirit of what the original intention of the Master plan is."

Will Harvest Caye Take Ships From Belize City?
posted (August 14, 2013)
emailicon.gif
Email Print

ncl2.aug14.13.jpg
ncl3.aug14.13.jpg
EARLY ON, we had clips from today’s press conference announcing the signing of the MOU with Norwegian Cruise Line to build a port in Southern Belize. One sound-byte we missed is an important one: it discusses the impact the Docking facility in southern Belize will have on the Cruise attractions in Belize City.Belize City has been the center for cruise tourism since its inception. IT may not be the best place in terms of visitor reviews, but it employs many, and, recently, a great deal of investment has been made to upgrade the environs surrounding the Fort Street Tourism village. So will Belize now be abandoned for this new facility in the south with a berthing dock? They say it won’t:

colinmurphy.aug14.13.jpg
"With all companies concerned, this is a sgnificance increase in volumes to Belize which means when it results it's like 400% increase in tax revenue to the country. 400% increase in payment to PACT, to preserve and protect the environment - it diversifies the dependence on Belize City so it takes pressure off of Belize City while keeping all the operators in place. One of the concerns that was raised is if everyone from Belize City was going to go down south. One of our competitors have been cancelling cruises because Belize is full, full, full so there up to five ship a day so we don't think it's going to be any impact to the folks in Belize City at all."

hulse.aug14.13.jpg
"Any scheduled visits in the North as existing - those shall not be diverted just as simple as that. So whatever was scheduled will be maintained and then you go to the south - we won't transfer them. So all this fear that everything was happening and in Belize City it will stop - that's not true."

Laura Esquivel -Frampton - Director of Tourism
lauraesquivel.aug14.13.jpg
"So what do we have to do now? Well we have to be prepared and we have about 24 months to get prepared for this project and that requires that we will have the suitable infrastructure in place - we will have our capacity limits in place and in fact we will be working with NICH to ensure that we have those capacity limits in place at least for the archaeological sites and with the other park managers for their sites."
As we noted earlier, Harvest Caye will only have a single berthing facility and Norwegian intends to use if 150 days of the year. On other days it will be open to other cruise lines. Tune in tomorrow, for the details of the MOU and the tough questions arising from it…..

Last edited:
The Details Of the MOU
posted (August 15, 2013)
emailicon.gif
Email Print

project.aug15.13.jpg
ncl2.aug14.13.jpg
Last night, we gave you a snapshot of the plans for the Norwegian Cruise Destination at Harvest Caye in Southern Belize.They're promising investment of 50 million US dollars in a destination that will be opened up in two years, and which will create directly and indirectly over a thousand jobs.
But it's not completely a done deal – right now its just a memorandum of understanding, which we'll look more closely at in tonight's story:
Jules Vasquez reporting
The eight page, 23 point Memorandum of Understanding, dated July 31st, 2013, is the product of long negotiation according to Minister Godwin Hulse:
Hon. Godwin Hulse - Chair, Cabinet Investment Committee
hulse.aug14.13.jpg
"There have been many presentations of MOU's and the final one that will be presented today will clear up a bit of confusion because there's been - I think it started with about draft 6, we're at draft 10 but they caught up on us on draft 6 and moved steadily through the various progressions."
headtable.aug15.13.jpg
erwincontreras.aug15.13.jpg
The final signing was done on July 31st by trade minister Erwin Contreras who attended yesterday’s event, but as is his style, did not speak or take the head table. His CEO Mike Singh outlined one of the controversial points of the MOU – the head tax arrangement:

Mike Singh - CEO, Trade and Investment Promotion
mikesing.aug15.13.jpg
"We've also allocated for a gradual increase in the head tax every five years which is the next slide. The head tax $7 per manifest per passenger will be paid to the Belize Tourism Board which $4.00 will be paid to the Port and the balance of $3.00 will be allocated to the government inclusive of all government fees. We are talking about within the 25 year life, the head tax will be increased 5 times - so we're looking at an additional $5.00 in head tax up to the point of the 25 year term. At which point we've calculated that NCL will be able to repair their investment which is an investment that the government has not had to do and at the end of that term we end up with a much larger head tax, which is appointed to government."
Jules Vasquez
"So who gets that increase because it doesn't say?"
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"It says we'll split it."
Jules Vasquez
"Okay so they get an increase as well."
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"But this time it will be split 50/50 - the increase."
Jules Vasquez
"But why shouldn't the increase accrue - they have enough to recover their investment, why shouldn't the increase accrue to the government and people of Belize?"
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"It has for the most part; we get an increase as well. If you're talking we are to get 100% then that was a decision of the Cabinet and after a lot of discussions - so that is where we go."
Hulse also answered why the MOU does not say which government agency gets what:
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"The government has decided that what obtains in the North will not obtain in the South - we're not going to follow the same formula at all. Government is saying that yes we will follow the split but how that is distributed will be determined by the Cabinet as appropriate and that has not yet been determined."
And while local authorities quibble over the minority portion of the head tax – the government has decided that what obtained in 2000 when Belize first signed a head tax agreement still obtains today:
Jules Vasquez
"Why are we maintaining the formula that we did in 2000 that the Said Musa sign with Mike Feinstein for a 4 - 3 or 60% breakdown - why have we maintained that?"
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"Well as we understood it because other lines are coming and this is what they're doing and we're looking at it in a country position, we weren't looking at it specifically at this because it's expanding cruise tourism across the country. The head tax - it is what comes to the country and what comes to the country is the visitors coming to spend his money. You don't want to create a situation where you shy away people especially when they see that chart of what obtains in the region because I know somebody said it was $3.00 - so you want to be careful."
And while that surely won’t silence critics, CEO Singh made it clear that he has been careful:
Jules Vasquez
"Do you or any related companies have any interest in any real estate ventures or civil works, if even a dredge perhaps that may be associated in this?"
Mike Singh
"I am an employee of the Government of Belize, my job is to work and seek investment opportunities which I think I do a fairly good job of doing. In this case, Mr. Murphy brought us an investment opportunity, I will state it categorically for the record - I absolutely no personal interest in this business - none."
Jules Vasquez
"No family or related company interest?"
Mike Singh
"I don't keep track of everything my family does but as far as I know - no."
And speaking of dredging, Norwegian says it plans to raise the island:
Hugh Darley - Belize Project Manager - NCL
hughdarley.aug14.13.jpg
"One of the things that we're going to do now with our dredge programme is we're going to refill the island and we're going to bring it up about 6 foot - so it's going to be 4 feet higher than its original state so that we can get a little bit more of the floor plane and have a substantial island - it won't have as much wetlands as it had before. We'll come back and help on how to replenish those existing beaches that have been on the island before. Why will people come here? Because it will give an environmental story, if we change that or I try to build a South Beach, or I try to build Cozumel - we wouldn't be telling that story. So it's natural for us to follow the history and the story that we want to tell - one of the stories that we want to tell is that of the Garifuna and the fact that there's a unique story to tell about this part of the world and it's not being told somewhere else. So the style, the language, the culture, the history, the connection to the Mayan history and pre history of Central America."
And that environmental story will be told, mostly with an old EIA for a resort development on the same island:
Hugh Darley
"The island only currently has a permit for development; it was a development for a resort destination. We'll show you that 20% of that approved destination impacts - so we're producing a light footprint, economically sensible and environmentally sensitive footprint."
Jules Vasquez
"We're dealing with two different creatures completely - one is an EIA for a hotel which has no birthing facility and the second is a birthing facility so how do we cross one into the other and why do we do that? Or is it just for the expediency of the investor?"
Mike Singh
"Expediency is a consideration, I will admit to that, there has been substantial studies done on this island and I think it is available online that covers probably 60% or 70% that same issues that NCL will have to do. The rest of the issues that they will have to put under which is actually reducing the amount of construction going under will be in respect in the change in use. The undertakings of this MOU are subject to a positive outcome of the application for the amendment of the current approved environmental assessment for Harvest Caye."
And that’s why the MOU is non binding, but with more than a hint of a threat the Norwegian Execs made it clear that the world is watching:
Colin Murphy - VP, Destination And Strategic Development For Norwegian Cruise Line.
colinmurphy.aug14.13.jpg
"I think in principle it's not legally binding, we think it's a strong demonstration of Government's intent and we think it will be fairly unprecedented to deviate significantly from that. We think it's important that the terms of the MOU are clear and I must say that I know that there are international investment community that are watching very closely to what happens in Belize. They're trying to understand if Belize is a place that is really open to do business so we are taking the government and their word and with the MOU I think it's a great basis to move forward and again people will be watching us to see how it progresses."
Hon. Godwin Hulse
"All the various covenants in this agreement are covered by one law and whatever else is required will be taken to the National Assembly so that is the reason for the fundamental clause. But this is about two parties working together in good faith and the government says we welcome the investment if ABC&D happens and then they come in to do ABC&D - that is basically it."
Tomorrow, we'll look at how the Port Developers say they hope to create jobs, when and how many.

BTIA Stays Bex, Says It’s Crackhead Economics, On Steroids!
posted (August 15, 2013)
emailicon.gif
Email Print

And while it's a big pitch being made, the president of the Placencia Chapter of the BTIA Stewart Krohn is not convincedKrohn and overnight tourism interests in Placencia have been opposing the plan from the very start – and today he told us, he still believes it can be vigorously and effectively opposed – especially the head tax:
Stewart Khron - BTIA, President, Placencia
khron.aug15.13.jpg
"All I can say is that I hate to bring back this crackhead analogy - but I know crackheads on the street who are better negotiators than the people who negotiated this agreement. To say that you are now limiting yourself, you will review the head tax once every five years? Do you think the Income Tax or the GST department can make a commitment to review the GST only once every five years? This is insanity and then after five years and they somehow summon the courage to raise it by $1.00, which is the limit to which they will raise it, out of the $1.00 then $0.50 is going to go to NCL? This is the ultimate crackhead MOU."
Jules Vasquez
"It will happen - like it or not."
Stewart Khron
"Who says it will happen, like it or not? It not over until it's over Jules. You of all people know that in Belizean politics, strange events can intervene. Next week you might see an NCL ship crash on the Belize reef - with that be a game changer? Yes it would. Whenever someone tells you that it's a done deal - what they're really telling you is that might not be a done deal but they would love for it to be a done deal. I would like to tell people out there - particularly people outside of the South who might be sitting on the sidelines and saying 'well yeah I kind of sympathize with the people down there, but it's a done deal so I'll just shut up'. It's not a done deal and we've seen before in Belizean history, if the people raise their voices loudly enough then even done deals can be undone."
Yesterday, the Vice President of Destination and Strategic Development for Norwegian said that he is disappointed in the position taken by BTIA particularly because they rejected the proposal before they even knew properly what it is.
Here are his comments from the press conference:
Colin Murphy - VP, Destination And Strategic Development For Norwegian Cruise Line.
colinmurphy.aug14.13.jpg
"I was a little disappointed, we've seen this many time in many different countries where big developers are coming in to somehow damage their business. I think over a period of time the leadership of BTIA will see that and along with their members."

Manuel Junior Herredia - Minister of tourism
herredia.aug15.13.jpg
"They refuse even to listen, sometimes being very disrespectful - that is not what we want from these people that are supposed to be guiding this industry. Our job and my job as the Minister of Tourism is to make sure that we grow in the industry together."

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 05:54 AM ----------

BTIA Placencia: Speak Up On NCL Project
posted (August 16, 2013)
emailicon.gif
Email Print

And so while the idea there is not to inundate the south - it kind of also is. And that's because while Norwegian is developing a destination on Harvest caye where they hope their visitors will stay and spend all their money, their also zoning in on as many as 60 villages in the south that hardly get any tourism.But Placencia Chapter President Stewart Krohn says you can’t have it both ways. Here's more form our conversaiton with him yesterday:..
Stewart Krohn - President, Placencia BTIA
khron.aug15.13.jpg
"I am just speaking on behalf of the Placencia BTIA chapter, the national BTIA has a board - that board has to consider things, please make it clear I'm speaking from one little small organization. But don't make the mistake of thinking that it's just the BTIA that is against this thing, if you look at the Belize Hotel Association, Placencia Tour Guide Association, Toledo Branch of BTIA, Southern Environmental Association - and there are more environmental groups that have not put things to paper. So this is not just some BTIA thing, it's not just a Placencia thing, it's not just a Southern thing - this is a National thing. I realize for someone to go and stand up and fight the government, it is not easy - I have to say, I cannot blame anyone, no matter how against this thing they might be - I can't blame you if you don't come out and make a big fuss on the TV like I am. But there are other ways that you can support what we're doing - speak to your area rep and say that 'this thing can't work, this thing doesn't make sense' - listen to the arguments. No one has to stand up and wave your flag and make yourself an enemy because we know that people have to live, people want scholarships for their children, people want land and everything from government because they play such a large role in our lives."
Krohn says he will urge the BTIA to keep up the pressure on Norwegian because the MOU is non binding.

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 09:53 AM ----------

• author: Kay Westby
  • target: Government of Belize
  • signatures: 290
  • left_action_logo_200.jpg

1,000we've got 290 signatures, help us get to 1,000 by August 31, 2013

[h=5]THE CASE AGAINST MASS CRUISE TOURISM IN SOUTHERN BELIZE
The campaign by private interests closely tied to the government of Belize to introduce cruise ships to southern Belize dates back to 2010. At that time a proposal by investors tied to Royal Caribbean Cruise Line to establish Placencia as port of call was successfully rebuffed by area residents. Two years later a new version of the same proposal, this time allegedly more “Placencia friendly” was floated to a group of tour guides but was never introduced or debated publicly.

In early 2013 a much larger proposal was made to the government by Norwegian Cruise Line. This project, backed by the same official who pushed the first two, called for NCL to purchase Crawl Caye, an island off the Belize coast where its largest ships could dock and passengers frolic on the beach as well as embark for tours on land and sea. NCL’s total investment was said to be in the range of US$50 million and the cruise line heralded the investment on one that would bring jobs and prosperity to an economically depressed area of the country and significant revenues to a cash strapped government.

While cabinet, under pressure from environmentalists, turned down the proposal for Crawl Caye on the grounds that it was in a marine reserve that formed part of a World Heritage Site, it endorsed the project if a more suitable location could be found. Immediately NCL announced plans to purchase Harvest Caye, a 70 acre island less than 3 miles south of Placencia Village just off the mainland. Following cursory study by a cabinet subcommittee (half of whose ministerial members never showed up for meetings) cabinet agreed to a non-binding memorandum of understanding with NCL that granted the company unprecedented fiscal incentives and tax breaks.

Details of a formal agreement are being drafted while NCL refines plans for its purchase of the island, its dredging and filling as well as construction of its berthing and recreational facilities. It plans to have Harvest Caye ready for action by the 2015/2016 cruise season.
[/h]
less

---------- Post added August 17th, 2013 at 09:54 AM ----------

Stop Norwegian Cruise LInes in Southern Belize - The Petition Site

cruise_ship_sign_960_-_cropped.JPG

[h=1]THE CASE AGAINST MASS CRUISE
TOURISM IN SOUTHERN BELIZE
[/h]
IMG_2650.JPG
The campaign by private interests closely tied to the government of Belize to introduce cruise ships to southern Belize dates back to 2010. At that time a proposal by investors tied to Royal Caribbean Cruise Line to establish Placencia as port of call was successfully rebuffed by area residents. The findings of the Wilson Report, by Seatone Consultants, an independent study commissioned and funded by the government of Belize, supported the peoples' opposition to mass cruise tourism in our southern waters. Two years later a new version of the same proposal, this time allegedly more “Placencia friendly” was floated to a group of tour guides but was never introduced or debated publicly.

In early 2013 a much larger proposal was made to the government by Norwegian Cruise Line. This project, backed by the same official who pushed the first two, called for NCL to purchase Crawl Caye, an island off the Belize coast where its largest ships could dock and passengers frolic on the beach as well as embark for tours on land and sea. NCL’s total investment was said to be in the range of US$50 million and the cruise line heralded the investment on one that would bring jobs and prosperity to an economically depressed area of the country and significant revenues to a cash strapped government.
While cabinet, under pressure from environmentalists, turned down the proposal for Crawl Caye on the grounds that it was in a marine reserve that formed part of a World Heritage Site, it endorsed the project if a more suitable location could be found. Immediately NCL announced plans to purchase Harvest Caye, a 70 acre island less than 3 miles south of Placencia Village just off the mainland. Following cursory study by a cabinet subcommittee (half of whose ministerial members never showed up for meetings) cabinet agreed to a non-binding memorandum of understanding with NCL that granted the company unprecedented fiscal incentives and tax breaks.
Details of a formal agreement are being drafted while NCL refines plans for its purchase of the island, its dredging and filling as well as construction of its berthing and recreational facilities. It plans to have Harvest Caye ready for action by the 2015/2016 cruise season.
A broad coalition of tourism and environmental groups from around the country believe that the introduction of mass cruise tourism—or any type of mass tourism—to southern Belize represents nothing less than an invitation to disaster.
For more information on this impending disaster, see
[h=5]Master Plan Environment Eco vs. Mass Tourism Jobs Overnight Tourism Belize City Cruise Industry[/h]

---------- Post added August 18th, 2013 at 05:06 PM ----------

Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2013 1:50 PM
To: 'secretarypm@opm.gov.bz'; 'mheredia@travelbelize.org'; 'minister@ffsd.gov.bz'; 'contreraserwin@gmail.com'; 'santino@sancasgroup.com'; 'godwin.hulse@gmail.com'
Cc: 'newsdirector@channel5belize.com'; 'jules.vasquez@gmail.com'; 'contact@krembz.com'; 'plustelevision@yahoo.com'; 'pgwil@pnpbelize.org'; 'lovefmbelize@yahoo.com'; 'waveradio105_9@yahoo.com'; 'Editor_amandala@yahoo.com'; 'reporternewspaper@gmail.com'; 'editoreporter@gmail.com'; 'info@sanpedrosun.com'; 'Editor.SanPedroDaily@gmail.com'; 'josesanchezbze@gmail.com'; 'pjonesbz@yahoo.com'; 'duane20moody@yahoo.com'; 'adeleramos.bz@gmail.com'; 'albert.starnewspaper@gmail.com'
Subject: MOU between GOB and NCL

Honorable Leaders of the Government of Belize,

I have no doubt that in your hearts you love Belize and all that she stands for. My wife, grown children, friends and I have been so fortunate to enjoy this wonderful country, its people, cultures and physical treasures. Our hope is to see future generations be as blessed as we have been.

So what could be the problem with those who claim that the signing of a MOU between the Government of Belize government and Norwegian Cruise Lines is a bad decision? The answer lies in what my father (deceased: attorney and Senior Judge in New Jersey) told me many years ago. He said you can change most anything except human nature.

Therein lies the rub. What seems to be at work here is letting human nature’s greed and power glands run amuck. They tend to override intellect and vision in similar ways to what we’ve witnessed here in the USA with politicians and sex. Of course one knows when what they are doing is wrong, but they do it anyway because of the power of and inability to effectively manage the present forces of human nature.

After the damage has been done, remorse flows and forgiveness is begged. But often the effects of our actions now cannot be undone. It’s only if one musters the courage to use their intellect, experience and evidence based judgment now can predictable outcomes be avoided.

I am not a politician or in a position of power to influence your actions. I am old enough and sufficiently removed from the forces of your political and economic commerce to enjoy clarity of vision. My request is that you take the time now to try and step back and take the long view of what’s best for your country. We will all be gone before those who come after us must live with what is done now. Please think carefully and take care of those who have put their trust in you to do the right thing. It is not easy, but doing the right thing is often the hardest work of all.

Respectfully,

Babe Feldman
Sunrise House
Plantation, Placencia
Stann Creek District, Belize C.A.
610-0356 (local)
----------------------------------------
1107 Miami Avenue
Annapolis, MD 21403
410-295-7002 (home)
443-994-6041 (Babe’s cell)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/