Southern Leyte Dec 27- Jan 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maat1976

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Hive Mind!

I've got 4 of 6 weeks off planned, and I'm considering Southern Leyte for the last 2 weeks.

I'm in Bali and Raja Ampat for the first four weeks... what are everyone's thoughts on if S. Leyte could entertain for this long (doesn't have to be one location), and what resorts would you use? Will be fairly broke after the RA trip so trying to keep it modest. :)

Thanks!
maat1976

Sounds like an awesome opportunity to check out the Philippines!I cannot comment regarding where to stay or dive in the Leyte area, but I'm sure others will chime in soon.

But I do believe you will find plenty of opportunities to fill your time with diving and non diving activities; lay on the beach(es), island hopping, hiking, plus some good history in the area (Spanish churches, WWII stuff, Philippine history).

I am living in Manila, but haven't made it down to that area yet. Please do keep us posted on developing plans and/or a trip report. Good luck!

Thanks D_Fresh.

I've been to PH twice (Anilao/ Puerta Galera, Dumaguete, Bohol, Moalbaol), and really enjoyed it. Thought before I head back to the UK mother ship at the end of my assignment, another visit might be a good idea. I've focused on Indonesia quite a bit this past year, so a quick change up to PH might be nice. In truth, I'm not that fussed about top side stuff, just want a relaxed chilled out 2, maybe 3 dives a day.

maat, Very cool! Well, as you're well aware, it's always a great time relaxing around PH. That's a major part of why I'm here :D. I wish you the best of luck and a very relaxing trip!

:cheers:

And I'm sure the other PH folks will be around soon to fill in suggestions for ya.

Book your resort and ferry travel early. Christmas time travel in Philippines can be really busy.

I stayed at Peter's dive resort in S Leyte and was very happy. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Diving is pretty good, reef and fish life. Great night dive under the jetty in town.

There are only handful few to choose from and Peter's has been around for many yrs. They even have dorm room for those looking for inexpensive accommodation.
Early flight from Manila to Tacloban, bus to Sogod Bay, ferry from Maasin to Cebu City, bus and ferry to Malapascua, back to Cebu City and finally Manila.

My buddies and I stayed at and dived with Peter's two years in a row. We had no complaints about SMs or boats or anything. Rooms: you get what you pay for, and they offer somewhat of a range of comforts and prices. The limited fare on the menu gets old after a few days, but there's a pub/restaurant just down the road, and the a few places to eat in town, for diversity of meals.

One of my buddies had previously been at Sogod Bay Dive Resort and said it was not remarkable better or worse than Peter's. So I think you'd be ok with either one.

Can it keep you busy for 2 weeks.... Yes, for sure yes if you are bringing along a macro rig. As mentioned, book early for the week between Xmas and New Year especially. For lots of defensible reasons my preference is Peter's, but that's not to dis any of the other resorts here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom