SP 109 label

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Palma

Contributor
Reaction score
I recently acquired a set of 109s that I initially thought were lacking its labels based on the posted photos:

(photo from Rob S.)

KGrHqZHJE8EiDnsmODBQT3jqESw60_57.jpg

While waiting for them to arrive, I decided to have some labels made to replace the missing labels and vacillated between just a basic "S" or something else. I ended up having some made this way out of some stainless steel:

P1030017.jpg

When the regs arrived, I discovered that the original labels were still present (clattering behind the purge cover), but decided to install the replacement labels just to see how they look:

P1030020.jpg

Adds a different look to the reg. :D I may keep it that way for a while longer or might revert back to the original "S"

I like those! What did you do to bring the chrome back? The pictures of them in the initial condition looked tragic and I never thought (without re-plating) that they would end up as yours have.

The regs were also re-chromed :wink: I can get a stage done for around $5 around here, so it made sense to restore it to its former glory :D

We have the EPA here in the US. That makes it virtually impossible to get chrome over nickel over brass platting done at all.

Leather tanning is another industry that is all but gone from the US due to EPA issues. The irony here (and the tragedy for divers) is that tanning ships will dock in CA, load up with hides, drive out past the 12 mile limit, tan hides, then dump the waste chemicals over board and sail back into port with the tanned leather. So it's literally "off shoring" the work, and doing nothing good at all for the ocean environment.

Vintage double hose normally has replacement rubber purge covers and those would complete your restorations - plus help ensure the new trim discs don't fall out.

Looks good. Can I send a few your way to be chromed?

Hahaha! Sure, but I bet after shipping and customs duties, it'll all even out in terms of price.

Vintage double hose normally has replacement rubber purge covers and those would complete your restorations - plus help ensure the new trim discs don't fall out.

When I had the new discs made, they used a thinner gauge of SS, so they were quite loose in the purge cover, but they didn't fall out. I added a few layers of tape to the back to thicken the disc, so now its nice and snug :D

My LDS here also sells purge covers but its the new style, and I sorta prefer the 5-hole look of the old purge cover. I guess therein lies the irony: I like the old style cover, but am experimenting with this label...

A thin washer behind them, and they will be snug, and functional (can even use a nylon washer)....

Back
Top Bottom