SP-350 or C-5050?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boastud

Registered
Reaction score
Im looking at going with a camera with a little more manual shooting (sold sealife dc500 pro). I have read nothing but great things about the 5050. It looks like the 350 is 8mp vs 5050 5mp. Im looking for something that will take nicer pics, not looking at a pro set-up. Im looking at the ion d2000 strobe to pair up with it. Any input would be appreciated.

I've been using a 5050 for several years and love it. Even at 'only' 5MP I can print large photos with no problems. Bigger/more MP isn't always better.

Last October I had the chance to try a SP-350. I was looking for a smaller rig yet one with the features I liked from the 5050. I really like the size and IIRC there is a feature that let's you take a RAW and JPG shot at the same time, or at least it records it in both formats, but it has a very slow writing speed. The lens wasn't as bright and the internal flash wasn't as good as I was hoping, it was only good for close macros within 12-14" and usless for anything past 20-24". One reason I wanted a smaller rig was so I could get away from the bigger rig with strobe, etc. So the flash issue was a biggy for me. I used it exclusively for 3 days and although I got some great shots from it, I hated to lose the convenience of having both CF and XD cards in the 5050 that I could switch back and forth and the flash thing I mentioned earlier. I decided to go with a really small P&S, Oly Stylus 740, for those days when diving is my main goal yet I'll have a camera with me for those once in a lifetime shots that always come along when you don't have a camera! I can carry and use it with one hand. If I need more camera than that, I can always carry the 5050 with no strobe/tray.

So I guess it comes down to whether size is an issue or if you're after the best results. For me, the winner hands down is the 5050. The 1.4 lens makes those WB ambient shots really nice, but the onboard flash goes a long way for both macro and portrait shots. I use an INON D-180 and the infra-red connection on the INON's work very well.

HTH

Thanks for the post. I was planning on going with an external strobe, and the size isnt an issue. I have an old 720sw that i can use of farting around.

Yes, the 5050 is the better camera. I shot one for years before moving to a dslr. My wife has an SP-350 and it isn't in the same class as the 5050, which has a much better lens.

Hi Dee,
Going to Roatan October 25th, AKR this time. We are taking a break from CCV.We are trying something new. Unfortuneatly my 5050 is on the blink. It appears that the CCD is out and for the price of repairs I can get one cheaper on E-Bay. I am kind of leary though. The camera was manufactured about 5 years ago and I would hate to get a reject. Have you ever had any problems with yours? I always took care of mine. It still looks brand new and not a scratch on it, what a heartbreaker man! Anyway thanks for the dee-rag, it was the best. I was having so much fun diving in Puerto Ricio that I have lost yet another one. Oh well!
Regards to Beast.

Good Divin'
George

I seriously wish all you people would quit buying 5050's on eBay so the next time I need another one the price will be a little lower!

I have given up hoping any manufacturer will improve on the 5050 for underwater P&S-ing.

There are some good deals on E-bay for C-5050's my friend. They are still affordable in my opinion. Where do you recommend buying one at? They stopped manufacturing them so to get a brand new one is nearly impossible.

Good Viz,
George

There was a touch of sarcasm in my previous post, that evidently you did not get. If you all quit buying 5050's the price will come down, no matter how low it is right now! :D

The next time I buy a P&S for underwater it is highly likely it will be another 5050 and I'd like it to be as inexpensive as possible. From a selfish perspective, I no longer recommend anyone but me buy used 5050's! :rofl3:

LOL,
I am kind of slow, but I get your jest. Some of the prices seem awful low though. Scary part is that they have no warranty. My CCD went out on mine and costs way too much to repair.

The sad part is that I might have taken it on 3 dive trips and barely got to use it the way I had intended. I never really got to perfect it the way I wanted to. I was still learning. It still looks brand new without a scratch on it. I have some pics under my profile here at S.B. and you will see what I mean if you want to check them out :shakehead:

Good Viz,
George

I have been shooting a C5050 for about 5 years and already have my backup body - heehee. Its in an Ikelite system with DS51flash. I also have an SP-350 completely in Olympus setup. While there are nice features in the newer digicam, I think the lens of the C5050 trumps the newer camera. That having been said, newer is better in the digital world.

The CCD on old C5050 can die and its sensor can develop purple fringing. I had one body replaced already, but like mentioned I doubt there are any refurbs available from Olympus America.

In regards to either digicam, IMHO it is essential to have an external strobe. Preferably one which is TTL or uses manual controller. Since SP-350 is TTL I have used it both ways with DS-50

BTW I have an Ikelite DS-50 and EV Controller on handle/tray setup ready for use with with either Olympus, let me know if anyone is interested?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom