SP MK10 issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Packhorse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got a mate who has a couple of MK10 DIN's.

One has an air leak from around the seat carrier. When you slowly open the tank valve it will leak but if you quickly open it it seems OK.
My guess is its one of the HP cap Orings not seating properly. I had a look at it for him a year or so ago and changed the Oring and it seemed fine on testing but he says it still happens now. Has not been used much since.

Any ideas?

The newer MK10 kits should have a plastic washer that replaces one of the o-rings in the seat carrier. It seems to work a little more reliably. In the past I've had a couple of problems with that o-ring; it's the one that sits on top of the seat; you set it in the HP end of the reg body and install the seat carrier on top of it. It's a 013 if I remember. I use a 90 duro o-ring if I don't have one of the SP washers.

I'd insure the o-ring is seated correctly before installing the seat retainer. I use a socket to press it into the groove. You might also try swapping out seat retainers to see if the problem moves or stays

Packhorse,

In addition to what Matt & Awap have said (-013 o-ring or plastic ring) the seat retainer o-ring size is a -015. But here is something else to check. The MK10 and MK10 Plus seat retainers are different. It has a washer & o-ring (same -015) that go between it and the body. The o-ring that goes where the plastic ring or -013 o-ring goes is also a different size (-011) Additionally, the hp seat is different. If your mate has two MK10s and one is a Plus model, it is possible that the seat retainers and other parts got mixed up.

If you do not have a diagram and want one, PM me with an email address where you can receive a PDF file.

Couv

Last edited:
Are the bubbles coming from the small hole in the middle of the retainer or from the perimeter of the retainer?

Just the seat carrier is matte finished on the Mk 10 Plus.

If the leak is through the small hole, the gas is leaking past the seat as well as the ring on top of the seat.

That would be the interior o-ring that seals the seat to the seat carrier. SP now uses a flat washer shaped seal rather than the -013 o-ring for that application. Can you give that a try?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom