SP X650 whistling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evil_xander

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When I inhale (not exhale, it's not the tipical membrane honking kinda thing), my X650 started to make a whistling sound, on the surface.

This lasts only 2-3 breaths and goes away, and it started doing this for the last 3 dives (pre-dive checks that is).

The reg still breathes fine, and works as always. Currently it has 20 dives on it, and a little bit less then one year, doesn't fall in the series that had to be recalled.

A sign of possible problems to come or just ignore it?

My R380 octo honks on the surface, so now they make great companions to each other, one whistling, the other honking (I do need a rhytm section though).

If it goes away after 2-3 breathes I would not worry about it.

Some one used to make a valve that would bang on the inside of your tank when the pressure got low - that would be a perfect addition to your band if you can find one.

DA Aquamaster:
If it goes away after 2-3 breathes I would not worry about it.

Some one used to make a valve that would bang on the inside of your tank when the pressure got low - that would be a perfect addition to your band if you can find one.

you are refering to the US Divers "Audio Reserve Valve" #0523 on page 8 in the 1963 Catalog, list price $39.95. Per Sam Miller

11_1.JPG

The following thread has more information on several audio reserve devices, including the Scubapro MK7 regulator.
http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=738

The Scubapro Mk7 first stage may be a better match.

Great, with my regs and these devices when low on air, on surface, I can replace the local band and perhaps earn some money to cover all the diving related expenses.

Now that would be a real job in the scuba industry!

:D

My SP S600 does the same thing also. I would describe it as a Wheazz....It has never actually affected the reg.

My LDS has no theory on why it does this:confused: . Maybe it's just a SP thing. I also have Apeks and they have never whistled or Wheazzed....

CatalinaCanuck:
My SP S600 does the same thing also. I would describe it as a Wheazz....

Yeah, that's the sound.

If you can make your Apeks make any sound, I'll let you play in my band.

My MK25/X650 did the same thing after it came back from service. I decided to take it to a different LDS (second opinion) and he said the original reg tech went stingy on lube in the first stage. It seems that the whistling was from coming from a dry MK25 first stage, and it went away once there was water in the amb chamber. He re-lubed the first stage and it worked fine after that. Maybe he was handing me a line, but that was his take on it.

Back
Top Bottom