sp350 vs C-series Oly camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Now, it seems that both types of camera r discontinued and probably a big chance is that Oly is not going to introduce any new cameras with hotshoe ttl camera like the above. I don't know what the c-series looklike but i only know that they have an advantage of using cf card which carries much more memory than the XD cards. due to this reason i find that the c-series is better than the sp350. the advantage sp350 have over the c-series is that the LCD size is bigger and cheaper. Do u guys agree? Which one u prefer, sp350 or the c-series?

My understanding is that the C-series cameras couldn't make use of faster CF speed. Today you can buy a 1GB type H xD card for about $35. RAW on the SP-350 take 5-6 seconds. That's much faster than the C-5050.

I have c-8080 and as deserteagle pointed out it's bridge is extremely slow. What that means is if I shoot raw it takes 12 seconds to save the pic! Upsides are excellent optics, huge ccd. They propably discontinued c-series as it's kinda competing with their "low" end dlsr's. If you can find 8080 somewhere I'd go for that. But then again it's just my 5 cents :)

The C-series can use the faster CF cards. I have an Oly 5050 and am currently using a 2gig Extreme III CF card and RAW write time is only 4 - 5 seconds.

Mel.b

I think the SP350 even though it uses the xD (which I HATE) memory it is still a superior camera in many ways..

I have nothing to compare it too but...
as a new sp-350 user I'm VERY happy with it

I went from a C-5050 to the SP-350. Personally, I think the C-5050 underwater shots tend to come out better when using only internal flash. However, I love that I can take some pretty decent video with the SP-350. I also like that the SP-350 is significantly smaller than the C-5050. I can keep my SP-350 in my pocket just about anywhere. With the C-5050, I had to carry a small camera case everywhere I wanted to shoot, looking like a tourist and always worried I was going to leave it somewhere. A plus for the C-5050 was being able to have both CF and xD cards in the camera at the same time and switching with a button. Another downside is the size of memory the C-5050 can handle.

I don't regret the switch, and the SP-350 is cheaply replaced if I want another one

Even the "pros" go with the C-8080:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Olympus-C-8...a-vs-DSLR-Approach_W0QQugidZ10000000000004230

The lowest price for a SP-350 is $199.00 new...I have yet to find at USED C-8080 go below $500 even the C-5050 are going for $350 used. The C-8080 to me is like a hybrid camera part DSLR (large lens) and P/S. The CCD sensor on the C-8080 is larger than the SP-350 but they are both 8mp, the SP-350 is just packed closer with smaller pixels, maybe open to color bleeding? I do not have a SP-350 but from what I have seen so far, the SP-350 does not come close to even the C-5050 Olympus in color and sharpness. And the wider than normal wide angle lens of the C-8080 is made for underwater close-up shooting.

If I were starting off in U/W photography the SP-350 is still a very good value because of the hotshoe, same electronic features as the C-8080 and the preflash strobe override. And if you have never been in to any type of photography you may not even see the difference in image quality.

F3:
Even the "pros" go with the C-8080:

Well, I guess that depends on the "pros" you are referring to. Cathy Church was a big fan of the C series cameras, but she highly reccomends and sells the SP-350 as you can check out on her site (www.cathychurch.com). I know others that like the 350 also but Cathy is definitely one that toutes it heavily.

I'm not saying the 8080 is a bad camera in any way, but you of all people should know by now based on your other feelings that just because it costs more, doesn't make it better.. :D

I have little doubt that the C series cameras had better optics and better actual resolution. What the SP has is bang for the buck. It is just a great combination of price point and features, and you can take pictures that are quite nice with it. It's the closest thing to a DSLR in function, but not performance. I would love to see Olympus come out with a replacement that has all the same features, but with a better lens, a bigger CCD and a faster processor. Maybe that's the Canon G-7, but it doesn't shoot RAW like the G-6. The SP-510 looks real nice, but also, no RAW and less resolution and it's kind of big. Maybe they're going the right way with the new E-400 (euro only) DSLR. How about a hybrid?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom