sp35o and its ikelite housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sunkarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi,

for those who have sp350 and its housing made from ikelite, do u guys have any problems such as the fucntions not working, etc?

Thanks

Are you having issues with the PT-030 or just wondering? We have the PT-030 housing with no issues but I figure the Ikelite would be just the same and function perfect as well..

i heard complaints about PT030. However, in indonesia , nobody was complaining about it. the reason i wanted ikelite housing was that the diffrence down here was only less than US$150 plus it includes the tray n arm.
but, i have heard from a diver down here that there was a diver in bali who had ikelite's housing for its f828 n had a problem iwth it. the housing broke the camera. So the store compensate for the loss. This is y i wanted to know if anybody had any problem or not using ikelite's housing for its sp350.

Keeping inmind that diving in Inodneisa even at the depth of 58 meters in which i tried, the Viz is still excellent.
Thanks for the concern.

I have had some issues with the shutter button sticking fully or partly closed. After some frustrating times with my first housing, I finally got Olympus to swap it out for a second housing. Although the problem is not as bad, I have had similar problems with this one.

This past Saturday I was diving with another member of ScubaBoard who also uses the SP-350/PT-030 setup ... and we were both having the same problem. Since so many warm-water divers report no problems with the housing, I am starting to wonder if this isn't related to using it in cold water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

LarryC had similar problems. He said he was getting a small medical forceps (clamp) to pull the button shaft up if it jams. I suggested padding the jaws with heat shrink tubing. The trigger button is not attached directly to the trigger shaft, so pulling up on the button won't help. The trigger shaft is in a deep socket in the housing. It looks like it could be hard to rinse clean of salt water or could trap debris. Pay special attention to rinsing and drying this part.

The other issue reported about the PT-030 is the ends of the retainer cords for the lens cap and LCD shade can get caught in the "O"ring when the case is closed. Trim them close and check them carefully. I would dispense with the lens cap altogether. It will just be in the way.

My first ocean use of the PT-030 is coming up in 12 days.

not that I have the SP-350, but PT-030 refers to the Olympus housing

the Ikelite housing is 6132.35. In probably all cases, the Ikelite housings are better than the housings from the manufacturer (being Olympus, Canon, Nikon or whatever) but are a little more expensive [but feel alot more sturdy]. If anything goes wrong with an Ike, they fix it. If you have a choice go for the Ike instead of the Oly housing.

So far so good...

But I don't have many dives logged with it yet. I plan on putting it through it's paces over thanksgiving break and christmas break. I had someone else on scubaboard tell me they had a problem with the housing, that they sent it in to Ikelite to take a look at it, but I never heard from the guy what the problem was.

My dive buddy, has had a ike housing for his cannon slr for a long time now and he has never had any problems...

My advice would be to get the housing if you are diving deep. And rest assured that in the extreme un-likly event you have something go wrong, Ikelite will try to make it right.

I have dealt with their customer service folks a few times so far (with questions only) and they have been more than helpful.

Just got my Ikelite housing and strobe last week and haven't been in water with it yet. From what I see and feel, its one well built package. I have seen the Olympus housing and am glad that I went with Ikelite just on my own perception of its quality. We'll see once I get it in the pool for a couple of test runs before heading into the quarry after Thanksgiving.

jjwdiver, please let me know once u have used it u/w in the sea.thx

I'll be headed to the pool first, then to the cold fresh water. No salt for me until January in Mexico. I'll be glad to make a report on my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom