Spare Air 3.0 cubic ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are exempt because they fall short of the minimum diameter and length that a cylinder can measure before requiring a hydro. However, you can take one in for testing if you desire.

i am fairly sure they are a larger diameter than the exemption; but hydro and vis are, for the most part, enforced by the regulated filling operation. although i have run into boat operator who prohibit the use of tanks with expired inspections even when they are not being asked to fill them.

there are so many advantages to a larger redundant gas supply that one really needs to address the disadvantage of a larger pony that would lead you to the spare air option.

Maybe so. I was just stating that the one I briefly had stated it's exemption status on the cylinder. I was curious why so looked it up and read here on the board somewhere that it was due to length or diameter or both. Either way, if filing off of your own cylinder the choice is yours to make.

Now I am just a newbie myself but allow me to pose this: Should anyone be recreational diving alone? If not, wouldn't spare air buy you plenty of time at any depth to reach your buddy's alternate source in the case of a failure of your primary system. Of course this assumes you're not 50 meters apart. And then both of you make a normal ascent? I'd feel fine about having a compact 'Plan B' stowed out of the way and ready for use. Perhaps this is just inexperience talking but I just started diving and feel I lug around too much gear as it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom