Spare Air / Pony Tanks - Real life stories ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robzr

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are a lot of here on Spare Air (bailout bottles) and small Pony Tanks... routinely in these threads, there are folks working out air consumption formulas, plugging in various SAC rates and ascent rates and either coming to the conclusion that an ascent from XXX feet is somewhere between impossible and easy... there are people who quote magazine articles in which ascents from various depths are successfully done with bailout/ponys, and then someone mentions how a false sense of security brought on by a bailout bottle can lead someone to risky behavior. I get the feeling that some legitimacy in all of these responses, and there are as many factors to consider as there are points of view here.

That said, there seems to be very, very few responses with real life stories. I can think of one, by a very experienced diver who ran his tank out, without a buddy, because he knew he had a Spare Air, and then went to grab it, and it didn't work - now he hates them. Interesting, but I can't say I see the bailout bottle as being entirely at fault here.

So, anybody have any other real life stories? Stories of people saved by bailout bottles? Stories of divers getting cocky and winding up on the bottom with a empty spare air in their hands?

Rob

There was a solo diver I seen one time that was using a single tank with a standard manafold and pony. The pony reg free flowed, since it was a back mount and he was using a scooter he didn't notice. Emptied the pony quick. Luckily for him he didn't need it.

I think if I carry a pony I would like the reg where it will be obvious that it is free flowing. Just my $.02

I wonder what the downside is to the inverted mount? They say it is easier to see the bubble leak...

My real life story is that I bought a spare air at DEMA ten years ago but never filled it or took it on a dive. Sits in a closet.

I was descending with a "buddy" along the mooring line to a wreck. He had a freeflow as soon as he hit the wreck at 65'. He grabbed his backup that was hooked up to his pony and that started to free flow. I was just about to donate my long hose, but when I looked back at him, I just saw his yellow twin jets pumping away at the top of my field of vision. From 65', at his rate of ascent, I'm sure that both his regs were still free flowing when he hit the surface. :wink:

I'm feeling frisky, I'll bite.

Lots of stories here:

http://www.spareair.com/product/storyby.htm

These read like bar exam essay questions. Spot the issues.

How many can you spot in this story related by a safety-oriented diver?

I went out on the boat without checking the rental tank. I didn’t have a full tank of air and ended up at 60 ft. without air. I gave my dive buddy the out of air sign, he didn’t know what it was and he didn’t have an octopus either. So I did what any safety-oriented diver would do. I just reached down on my BC and got out my Spare Air and made a safe ascent. Thank you Spare Air!”

[NAME OMITTED], [AGENCY OMITTED] Divemaster, Panama City, FL

***Disclaimer: this in no way represents an opinion one way or another about ponies/spare air and simply reflects one board member's attempt to find a list of stories about people using such things***

Thanks for shairing-Coolaid Boy- Me I don't go out of gass, I check these things.

I'm not saying that "spare air" is not a good "what now" thing, I'm just saying - Gee we are under water - We need air....Don't you think??????

dsteding:
I went out on the boat without checking the rental tank. I didn’t have a full tank of air and ended up at 60 ft. without air. I gave my dive buddy the out of air sign, he didn’t know what it was and he didn’t have an octopus either. So I did what any safety-oriented diver would do. I just reached down on my BC and got out my Spare Air and made a safe ascent. Thank you Spare Air!”

[NAME OMITTED], [AGENCY OMITTED] Divemaster, Panama City, FL

Haha, that guy is a dive-master? Thats scary... The point of this question (to me) is to see if we can draw some wisdom from real life situations that we can relate to. I'm hoping most/anyone reading this thread won't be in the situation that guys in.

Rob

robzr:
Haha, that guy is a dive-master? Thats scary... The point of this question (to me) is to see if we can draw some wisdom from real life situations that we can relate to. I'm hoping most/anyone reading this thread won't be in the situation that guys in.

Rob

Indeed it is scary. However, when I hunted around that website a bit more, there were lots of stories that were like that, and the folks at Spare Air are using such stories to push their product. But I think that goes to a different point.

On topic, I think this is actually a great idea for a thread. One of the often overlooked parts of this sport is that it can kill you easily. One of the good things about these boards is that we can learn from others-hopefully making us better, more prepared divers.

There are a few in the accidents and incidents section here.

Hands down, this one is the most illuminating IMO:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=74063

Out of respect for Don, who appears to have learned alot from the incident, I won't discuss the errors made again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom