Spare air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do a search. This has been discussed to death.

Don't waste your money. The things are something like $300 and at depth only give you a few breaths and depending on how deep you go not even enough to get to the surface. Use the same ammount or a bit more money on a larger pony bottle like maybe even a 13 cu/ft one that could get you to the surface in an emergency or even possibly a short safety stop.

I wanted a redundant system and was researching the spare air or going with a pony bottle. Hands down- go with a pony instead! I went with 6 & 13 cu. ft. systems because I wanted a unit large enough to get me to the surface at 100' or less but small enough that I could put it in a carry-on and travel with. If you do a search you will find many arguments on the size of the pony.
The important thing is to a get a size appropriate for what you are going to use it for and then practice with it so you know what it is or isn't capable of.
I mount my pony horizontally on the front of my BC with quick snaps. It is easy to use, easy to take off (Could hand it off if absolutely necessary), I can easily read the button gauge, and I don't know it is there when I swim with it. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

I ended up doing much the same, only I bought a 19cf pony, and I mount it vertically on some D rings on the left side of my BC with a small stage strap. I can take it off and hand it to someone else if need be as well.

Thinking about getting a SPARE AIR. Anyone here own/ever had to use one. If so would you reccomend it.

I will leave the comments on how useful a Spare Air is to others (or searches).

Other issues with their ownership that are not normally discussed is maintenance. As a technician who services Spare Airs I will say that they do not take well to being left with salt water water in them. There are parts that can seize ,making them disposable when they need service, if they are not well rinsed post dive. There are not hard to rinse as they can be submerged in warm water while still wet to get most of the salts out.

It is recommended by the manufacturer to have them serviced (and the tank VIP'd) every year. Consider these cost (at your chosen interval) when comparing it to alternate systems.

Ask the shop that sells them if you could borrow one (from an Instructor or other staff) and then time how long you empty the cylinder while swimming at a certain depth. Try a few ascents from your typical dive depths. Try borrowing a pony system as well to make your own comparison.

Would you feel comfortable with this in an emergency? Will it solve your problem?

Keith

I used to own one its bad had many free flowing problems I would reccomend at least a 13 cu ft, but what I would go with is a 27 cu ft I have a 27 cu ft and it should be enough for acending from 130' and possibly a saftey stop. still for saftey I am looking to up grade to a 40 cu ft because of added saftey, and its not all that heavy

The spare air has one good use, escaping from a helo that goes down in the water. That's what it was designed for and attempts to market it for other purposes are ridiculous in the extreme, just read the "testimonials." They're laughable.

I was given the remains of an ill-maintained SpareAir system, so technically I own one. The bottle makes an excellent vase for a single rose, although it's a bit narrow and tall, making it somewhat less than ideally stable without some sort of base. Personally, I'm considering turning it into a salt shaker or possibly an olive oil decanter. If I flew helicopters or did more whitewater paddling, I'd consider using it for that.

Meanwhile, in my diving, I have a wonderful 19cf pony bottle that I sling along my left side. It is unobtrusive when I am diving, and it is sufficient for me to deal with a problem underwater and, if necessary, make my *normal* ascent (with stops) to the surface from the depths I dive. I even packed it in my luggage when I went to Bonaire. (I also picked up a 30cf bottle on the cheap, but I rarely make dives that warrant carrying it over the 19cf.)

I would not consider any SpareAir product sufficient for my requirements for contingency scuba, so no, I would not recommend it for diving.

Back
Top Bottom