spear fishing he said he was diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingmoose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
hi i need some feed back
I was diving at West hawk lake last summer and I met and talked to a diver he told me that it was leagal to spear fish with a fishing licence for any fish species in Manitoba many years ago I spear fished while snorkeling then found out it was illegal so I stopped
So was the laws changed ?

Last edited:
What fish species can you spear there?

Angling seasons, limits and licence requirements apply. Fisher's maypossess only one limit of fish, whether taken by spear fishing or angling.You may not spear fish for sturgeon, largemouth bass, smallmouthbass, muskellunge, Arctic grayling, Arctic char, brown trout, rainbowtrout, brook trout, splake or other trout hybrids. Only face mask, flippersand snorkel may be used to take the following species (i.e. no scubaequipment): walleye, sauger, pike, channel catfish, crappies, mooneye,goldeye, lake trout and whitefish.Scuba or snorkelling equipment may be used for species other than thoselisted above.

No "high road" intended by my post in any way..... Many years ago I used to dive off San Diego, California and had buddies who brought home sacks of abalone....now abalone are mostly a memory. I have seen other ocean critters shrink in numbers and size. I know there are divers who like to spear big fish just like hunters on the land. But it's not for me. For me, I follow the saying, "leave only bubbles, take only pictures." Of course I get conflicted with lion fish in the Caribbean, but I still just take a pic and hope one day the groupers and eels will find the lion fish tasty.

Back
Top Bottom