Spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

G

GetWet

Hi gang,
I have a question about spearfishermen ( or fisherpersons).
There were only two times that I can think of that I was really nervous or concerned while underwater. Both were dives with people who had spearguns. The first time was in a pond with about three feet of vis and the two guys with me and myself had to hold on to each other to keep in touch. If that wasn't bad enough they brought spearguns with the thought of bagging carp in that slime. After about five minutes I signaled that I was surfacing and went back to the truck. Just couldn't get comfortable.
The second time was on a dive boat out of Destin, Fla. We were already underway to the gulf when I was informed that everyone else was spearfishing. When we got on the bottem the vis was 30 ft. and I stayed behind everyone - far behind everyone - cause I just didn't care to get skewered. I know now how the sea creatures feel being targeted.
The question is this. Is there a safe way to dive along with spearfishers or should one just give up the dive and go home?
Has anyone had similar experiences?
---------------------
GetWet (whenever possible)

A spear fisherman have to take responsibility for their actions. If diving in an area where their is not or poor visibility, they would have to be crazy to spear fish. In most cases in California, the best spear fisherman are free divers. They know what they are doing and they usually hunt far from other divers just outside the kelp. When I spear fish with a gun, not a pole spear, I like whomever is diving with me to stay close behind. This is for three reasons; a) They don't scare the fish, b) They are out of my aim zone. b) They don't get accidently stuck with the tip.

I have terminated spear fish dives many times due to poor visibility or unsafe conditions. My tip for you, if you do not feel comfortable with the shooter/s, don't dive with them. If you see someone get in the water with a gun and the vis is bad, don't get in the water.

One nice thing about A GOOD spear fisherman, they will only take the game the choose and need not bothering other fish. Not like a rod & reel fisherman who hook anything that comes along. The rod & reel guy may release the fish but the fish is extremely punished and who knows for sure what happens to a fish after released in that condition?

Three feet of viz is no place to be hunting. OTOH, 30 feet is very safe to hunt in. Stay beside and slightly behind the hunter. Do not crowd anyone who is hunting. Don't dive with anyone who isn't careful with their gun. A gun is NEVER pointed toward anyone.

Deep Sea made several good points on this topic.

WWW™

Walter and Deep Sea gave some good tips. I was recently on a boat where everyone except my buddy and myself were spearfishing. Vis was great and they were very careful, I never felt the least be nervous about it. Probably one of my favorite trips to date. I wouldn't hesitate to dive with all of them again.

You can keep your spear guns and I will run if I ever see anyone in the water with one !
Here in South Australia, we have a fairly large population of white pointers which seem to be comming closer to metropoltan beaches, especially this year. As you all probably know, sharks are attracted to a fish in distress and it is for that reason alone that I will stay the hell away :whoa:

I am not saying that this is for everyone, but for me it is a definate "Run away" situation (I admit, I am a wuss)
If you want to know why then go to http://www.rodneyfox.com.au and it will explain everything :peace:

Spearfishing with tanks is forbiden :nono: in Portugal. You have to freedive. Is it different elsewhere?

Different rules apply depending on your location. In the Bahamas, for example, spearfishing is also forbidden on SCUBA, additionally you are forbidden to use a trigger device. That means you must use a pole spear or a sling, no guns. The US is more liberal in it's spearfishing laws, although they do vary from state to state, generally hunting is allowed on SCUBA. While SCUBA is an advantage in that you can stay down longer, it is also a disadvantage in that bubbles scare fish, causing you to miss shots you would have been able to nail if freediving.

WWW™

To Deep Sea:
I didn't mean to implie that spearfishing is bad, only that I haven't had any training or experience with it and don't know the rules of the road, if there are any. I have been pheasant hunting in the fields of Nebraska and had bad experiences with careless hunters. I suppose in any sport a few bad apples can spoil it for the whole bunch.
--------------
GetWet (whenever possible)

GetWet, No offense taken. I have not speared fish in a while anyway. Two real important things I forgot to tell you about.

:nono: NEVER, load the gun out of the water and ALWAYS keep the tip covered with some sort of protective device when transporting it or storing it on the boat. You would not believe how many times I seen people get stuck while the boat is pitching by unprotected tips. Once, I seen a guy load a spear gun in the parking lot only to have it go off clean through his VW's front, driver's side door!

If your using a pole spear, again be careful when swimming. It is easy to swing it forward and stick someone. I watched a good friend put his pole spear down in the rocks and try and grab at a lobster. When he missed the lobster, he backed up fast and put one of the paralyzing tips right through his hand. When he pulled out the tip, a trail of green stuff start flowing out. He also had a little white thing like spaghetti coming out his hand. He wrapped it around his finger and pulled really hard. It was a attached to his hand and made the whole hand close shut :eek:. What a look he had on his face before he bolted to the boat :goofy:!

Ouch! Who was the crazy man whom decided to yank a peice of his hand off?!? The green stuff was obviously blood, (because that's how it looks at depth) the spaghetti, I don't know... but it still sounds stupid to yank on it. Ouch! Did I say Ouch yet? because Ouch... I mean Ouch!

Spearfishing done responsibly can be very fullfiling. When we spearfish at the Channel Islands off of the Southern Califoria coast, the spearfisherman go off into an area where divers aren't blowing bubbles. Hunting on scuba is allowed here, but not everywhere... for example Mexican water's which is only 20 miles south of my home.

As for Rodney Fox: he is truely an inspiration. He was in his day one of the worlds finest spearfisherman, having been decorated with awards and trophies of the edible type. :wink: After his run in with a white, he continued to spearfish, and is now one of the largest protectors of the great white. Gotta love him!

Back
Top Bottom