Spec Boot For Mk-15

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got the vacuum pot lid from lowviz today. Looks perfect and much sturdier than my previous one. Now to start working on a master model and mold for the MK10. I have a slightly deformed SPEC boot on loan, but would love the ID, OD, and width of the groove on the MK10. I can probably make my molds/master without it...

Seeing the real MK10 boot will also help with my design for the MK5. My first one was HUGE compared to the real MK10 boot. Vacuum degassing looks to be essential also. I was able to easily tear the first prototype. Small bubbles in the material act as tear points. First properly degassed batch is curing right now.

...//... Vacuum degassing looks to be essential ...
Yeah, forced to it. Totally agree. Two degassings, one for the material and a second for matching the intricacies of the mold.

Progress here too. Looked into pressure cookers as vacuum degassing pots. I was almost ready to buy an 8-qt model but just had to stop at my fav steelyard. (http://www.shopjfi.com/company-info) See pic. 12" dia 6010 T6 schedule 40 Al pipe. $1.50 per pound!!! NO FREAKING WAY I could pass that up! $200 worth of material for $24.30!

Just for grins, check the going rate: MetalsDepot® - Aluminum Pipe

So, my lid is now undersized for the big pipe, see pic. No big prob, Will start machining a ring out of 1/2" Al plate that will seal to both the pipe and plexiglass window. On that now. Base will just be a hunk of mild steel with a circular slot to fit the aluminum pipe and a poured gasket. ( I know how to make gaskets now. :wink: )

We'll get it. Full court press. Both coasts working on it...

Attachments

• 12InchPipe.jpg
    12InchPipe.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 68
Yeah, forced to it. Totally agree. Two degassings, one for the material and a second for matching the intricacies of the mold.

Progress here too. Looked into pressure cookers as vacuum degassing pots. I was almost ready to buy an 8-qt model but just had to stop at my fav steelyard. (http://www.shopjfi.com/company-info) See pic. 12" dia 6010 T6 schedule 40 Al pipe. $1.50 per pound!!! NO FREAKING WAY I could pass that up! $200 worth of material for $24.30!

Just for grins, check the going rate: MetalsDepot® - Aluminum Pipe

So, my lid is now undersized for the big pipe, see pic. No big prob, Will start machining a ring out of 1/2" Al plate that will seal to both the pipe and plexiglass window. On that now. Base will just be a hunk of mild steel with a circular slot to fit the aluminum pipe and a poured gasket. ( I know how to make gaskets now. :wink: )

We'll get it. Full court press. Both coasts working on it...

I love it when things are overbuilt, LOL. I wouldn't have been able to pass that up either.

Ha!

I have several vac pumps, changed my mind. Going with the monster. I'm planning to multi-purpose this rig. I want everything to be able to be broken down and put into the dishwasher. I'm going to make this a freeze dryer too. :)

Last edited:
First MK10 SPEC boot is curing right now. Material is a Duro 45 Platinum cure silicone (Smooth-Sil 945) and is supposed to be compatible with silicone oils.

Lowviz and Couv get my first 2 boots - assuming of course I like what comes out of the mold today. I'll make a limited number of others for free Beta testing. I have no plans on SELLING these. Strictly test at your own risk. Convo me if you are interested.

I use MK5s, not 10s, Lowvis is a MK15 person. We should have a variety of SPEC boots soon.

Excellent!

I really want to test Smooth-Sil 945 in silicone oil. Please send my boot to uncfnp, she's a 10 and you have her old boot. As for me, next time you mix, please pour a 1/8-1/4" piece that I can cut a 1"x1" square out of. I would love to test 945 against the *expensive* fluorosilicone that I have.

You are well ahead of me, I'm still working on my rig so that I can properly cure Mold Max 30.

Lowviz, I have some pieces already cured for you. First boot is now out of the mold and hardening up. Right now it feels a little floppy, but expect it will firm up. I'm going to tweak the mold a little and cast another tonight. Even the writing comes through (along with the slight distortion).

Attachments

• IMG_20160529_162100109_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160529_162100109_HDR.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 65
Tigger,

First, that is a beautiful boot! The way you positioned it allows one to see what I meant about the sight distortion due to oxidation or heat, can't tell which. I can't imagine that it will be the least bit of a problem. The Japanese have a word for that, something like "perfectly imperfect": Wabi-sabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I love it. This whole project is Wabi-sabi. :wink: Oh yeah, that hole has been puzzling me. It might be a FILL hole rather than a release vent. Experts, what do you think?

Smooth-Sil 945:
Yes, very much interested in the cured pieces. Thank you. I want to do a dimensional swell test and a weight gain/loss test on both polymers when soaked in hot silicone oil for a week or so. No rush, I haven't cracked open my fluorosilicone yet. That will be an expensive, one-shot deal.

Right now I'm wrenching on my Leybold Trivac S25B vacuum pump. A beast. It now has its own 220V line and its own place to live in the shop. It's about time I brought that puppy on line...

Tigger,

First, that is a beautiful boot! ... It might be a FILL hole rather than a release vent. Experts, what do you think?

Lowviz, Thanks. My guess is a fill hole.

Hey all, I'm back in the game. None of the cheats worked, so I've gone full-bore. Things are working again.

Vacuum degassing is mandatory for any sort of quality casting. *Ask Tigger* I've been struggling with a transition plate/ring that will get my plexi window to seal perfectly to an oversize high-vacuum chamber. This turned into a "do it right once" project that will allow me to make a lot of additional (and interesting) things later. Here is the latest transition ring hogged out and ready to part from the 1/2" plate. No, it isn't pretty. (yet) My lathe can't turn 13". :(

The fixturing suggestions (as shown) are courtesy of some guy who used to {quote} "work for me" {end quote} (more like comrades in arms, but the big boss never caught on...) I'm retired now, can't touch me. :p

Attachments

• Transition Ring.jpg
    Transition Ring.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 61
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom