Special dive lights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finless

Reaction score
I remember reading (a few years ago) an article in a dive mag about adapted or special dive lights (probably a UK mag BUT might have been in Rodales Scuba
Diving mag).

I can't remember the exact methods described but it probably involved special bulbs or special lens filters or both.

The aim was to show up colours on marine life that would not normally be visible - similar effect as ultra violet light has on certain materials (or is it colours?).

Does anyone know/remember anything about this?

Finless:
I remember reading (a few years ago) an article in a dive mag about adapted or special dive lights (probably a UK mag BUT might have been in Rodales Scuba
Diving mag).

I can't remember the exact methods described but it probably involved special bulbs or special lens filters or both.

The aim was to show up colours on marine life that would not normally be visible - similar effect as ultra violet light has on certain materials (or is it colours?).

Does anyone know/remember anything about this?

Finless,

I saw something like that at DEMA. IIRC it was a filter for the lightsource, and a coloured lense the diver puts over their mask.

The combo allows animals, and perhaps other things, to be seen flourescening

Kinda cool, but I didn't spontaneously reach for my wallet.......

I'd contact DEMA and see if they can check their exhibitors list.

Regards,

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Finless,

I saw something like that at DEMA. IIRC it was a filter for the lightsource, and a coloured lense the diver puts over their mask.

The combo allows animals, and perhaps other things, to be seen flourescening
Kinda cool, but I didn't spontaneously reach for my wallet.......
I'd contact DEMA and see if they can check their exhibitors list.

Regards,
Tobin

Tobin,

Tks for the reply - I do not remember any need for a mask lens BUT it was a long time ago that I read the article + with my failing mem .......... half past two? :)

Coincidentally, I emailed Diver (UK mag) about this subject to see if they had previously covered the topic and they have an article on this very subject within the next couple of issues. Some coincidence!

Rgds
Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom