Special inflator/deflator for bcd needed, no airtrim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^^ On the deflate side - the Zeagle inflators incorporate a pull-dump into the hose - there's a cable inside it to activate the shoulder dump - to vent all you do is pull on the body of the inflator. The inflate button would still need some thought though - they're pretty tough to push.

Several of heir models will take doubles and have replaceable wings. My doubles rig is a Ranger with a 66lb wing and they sell a larger one. It also works with their steel or aluminum back plates.

I think the Express Tech takes doubles also - it's a soft backpack minimal design. If this person could wrap their hand around the Ripcord handle - they could pull it to drop weights also if needed.

Last edited:
And this is necessary?

I'm honestly asking for an explanation...
Yes, it is for technical diving, so redundancy is needed. This means backmount twins, here we all dive steel 85's. Or sidemount ali80's. Not smaller.
The diver wants to start technical diving. That means advanced nitrox/decompression procedures and/or cave.
As streamlined as it should be is already not an option, but it must be safe. So first the equipment ready, then look wat is possible. For advanced nitrox, 3 cylinders are needed. 2 backgas, 1 decogas. Cave can be started with 2 cylinders.

I will try to make the buttons of the inflator bigger. And maybe the inflatorhose longer. It will not be a 'DIR' solution, but the diver will not be able to handle it when it is 'DIR'. That is too strickt. Even if the sidemount will mean 'dangling stage cylinders', it is not unsafe, so it could be an option. The diver will not be able to put valves in bungees with sidemount, not strong enough. The inflator on wing will be use with both hands.

If we found a solution for the equipment, we can look what is possible. Frogkick? hands? etc. Then we have to look about self reliant/self sufficient etc. What is possible? And what is safe? Technical diving has normally the idea that every diver must be self reliant. In this case?
If you do a decompression dive in easy open water, ok, that is not different from normal sportsdiving, just some extra equipment. But if there is no current and the diver can swap a regulator and turn a valve open, I don't see problems. With cave diving it will be different. Can the diver deploy a reel? Can the diver feel the line without viz? Etc
But time will learn, and it is not directly a no. First the equipment ready.

The drysuit is already for years equipped with a bigger button:
droogpakbutton.jpg

Zeagle is an unknown brand here, but I will look around.

Zeagle's are pretty modular - to change mine from single to double takes a $30 kit and about 10mins. mostly re-arranging the straps.

I don't have one but the back plate setup for the Ranger looks to be similar.

It won't be cheap though - Rangers start around $800 and the bigger wings are more.They're tough - 1000 denier fabric and steel d-rings sewn in place.

Talk to Scubatoys.com or Leisurepro.com - both ship internationally.

www.zeagle.com

Last edited:
I've worked with guy with arm issues. We ended up going with his bcd inflator strapped to his arm (push inflator) and regular pull dump. He has average dexterity but not the strength. A lighter spring in the bcd inflator answered his issue. With the weaker return, the risk obviously is stuck inflators. Kept a closer watch on maintenance to keep the action smooth, the manufacturer springs are far stronger than required it turned out. We had brainstormed bolting on a handle (lower profile) like this but he found it unnecessary:
download (2).jpeg

Might be suitable for the situation you described? Considering the drysuit inflator is operational.

Back
Top Bottom