SPG Air Spool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kebosatu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

Wondering when you change the air spool, can u use any type of airpool or it has to be the type that comes with your spg initially? There are few types out there.

uploadfromtaptalk1433395774691.jpg

Cheers,
Kebo

You cannot, you must use the one that comes with your SPG. If it's a brass and glass SPG from Termo in Italy it will use the third on the right.

Thanks, Buddha.

I'm using scubapro spg. Wondering if you happen to know which spool I'm going to need? I have not opened it yet. (still struggling with opening the rubber boot)

Thx,
Kebo.

I'm not certain all are the same but am pretty sure all later models also use the third one on the right. Of course the only way to be sure is to remove it and check. Warm soapy water will help in removing SPG from console. Push the hose up through where the SPG lives if that's not already obvious. Good luck, sometimes they can be stubborn.

what he said to get it out. Warm soapy water and it should peel off. If it is plastic it is usually one of the first two. That said, you don't actually have to replace it. You can replace the O-rings relatively easily....

My experience is that any one of the styles will work in my Scubapro SPG which, I believe, originally had the middle type. The style on the right would probably work in any SPG as the center piece limits its travel if there is not a suitable stop built into the SPG.

BUT, why are you looking to change the spool in your SPG? Usually, all it needs is cleaning and lube. If it is leaking, then you should first replace the 003 o-rings. When you do either of those choices, you can see what you have and buy a replacement spool with o-rings for your save-a-dive kit. When in a hurry, it is much easier to simply replace the entire spool than to try to change o-rings.

As the other posters have said, open it up, take it out and see what you actually have. It's quite possible that you only need to replace the O-ring but I have had the spools crack through the middle so I tend to just replace the whole unit. They're cheap enough. And as awap and buddhasummer said, order several and keep a spare in your save-dive kit. And remember to lube the O-rings. Just takes a little.

---------- Post added June 4th, 2015 at 11:44 AM ----------

This may be a stupid question. I don't own any Scubapro SPG's or consoles. But why do you need to open the boot? With my units, you just unscrew the hose that connects to the SPG.

if it is in a rubber boot it covers the hose connection so you have to pull the boot down and slide it down the hose. Same way they go into consoles. It's irritating but usually prevents them from unscrewing. Looks like this

scubapro_compact_4d26ffe9288d7.jpg

if it is in a rubber boot it covers the hose connection so you have to pull the boot down and slide it down the hose. Same way they go into consoles. It's irritating but usually prevents them from unscrewing. Looks like this

View attachment 209878
Thanks and yes that would be irritating. But I could also see how that design might be more protective of the spool as well and less likely to crack. But not worth the hassle I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom