SPG Rigged to inflator hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro

Reaction score
What are the downsides to attaching the SPG to the inflator hose?

Might bonk you in the head when you jump in.

Maybe you could put it on your octo instead.

I'd be afraid of being laughed at but of course I'm really sensitive.

Why would you want to?

Xanthro:
What are the downsides to attaching the SPG to the inflator hose?

You`ll probably need a custom length hose and it might be a little close to read if your inflator hose is really short. Other than that, I think if you can get used to the inflator hose feeling a little bulky then there's nothing inherently wrong with this.

R..

Tried it.

It gets in the way of stage bottles bu cluttering up and allready cluttered up spot even more.

PorcuFin:
Might bonk you in the head when you jump in.

Maybe you could put it on your octo instead.

I'd be afraid of being laughed at but of course I'm really sensitive.

Why would you want to?

I can't see it hitting me in the head anymore than the inflator, which is tied to the upper right d ring.

Laughing doesn't bother me.

I'm not sure I want to, but the ideas behind different gear layouts appeal to me.

Thanks JimC and Diver0001. I thought about the might be hard to read because it's so close, that was the only drawback I could think of.

How exactly does it interfer with stage bottles? Just added bulk above them? I'm curious because I figured this would be a less interference because they are not sharing the hip D ring and that reading your pressure with stage bottles would be harder, that you'd always have to unclip, and there would be the slight possibility of accidently unclipping a stage bottle.

JimC:
Tried it.

It gets in the way of stage bottles bu cluttering up and allready cluttered up spot even more.

And being clipped to the hip d-ring is not cluttered with stages?

Xanthro:
How exactly does it interfer with stage bottles? Just added bulk above them? I'm curious because I figured this would be a less interference because they are not sharing the hip D ring and that reading your pressure with stage bottles would be harder, that you'd always have to unclip, and there would be the slight possibility of accidently unclipping a stage bottle.

Careful, you are about to get the line "if you practice it can be done easily". I agree with you and for a fact, know of a person who lost his SPG on his hip by stages cracking the face. So it's not the most ideal place for it.

Tamas:
And being clipped to the hip d-ring is not cluttered with stages?

Having the spg up above the stages just feels cluttered. For one thing, when you're diving with stages you've probably worked out your gas plan and may only have to refer to your spg a couple of times during the dive and then only to see if you're on track gas wise.... Having the spg in your face all the time isn't necessary *in that context* and given all the other things you can't tuck away it's nice to have something that you don't need to have up over the stages.... Also, when you have a lot of stuff hanging on your shoulder D ring anything you have hanging on the inflator hose just feels bulky and in the way.... at least it does to me. Maybe someone else might be able to get used to it but it doesn`t surprise me to hear someone say that it`s causing clutter....

Having said that, if you don`t have stages and you`re not tek diving then maybe the left-strap D-ring is a natural place to have the spg. Over the shoulder also seems to work for a lot of people if you can get the hose lengths and routing sorted out.

Careful, you are about to get the line "if you practice it can be done easily". I agree with you and for a fact, know of a person who lost his SPG on his hip by stages cracking the face. So it's not the most ideal place for it.

I think this is a whole other issue for a whole other context than the original question seemed to be asking.

R..

I have had my SPG clipped to the hid d-ring for a few dives with stages and found it to be more then a hassle to get to it, granted it doesn't get looked at much since I am aware of the gas consumption, but I do make a conscious effort to clip and un-clip once in a while to practice.....whenever I had stages there I had the hardest time, with thick gloves and multiple clips there for the tanks and spg.

Then I took that spg, and clipped it to my chest d-ring, now it's just a matter of looking down and seeing the pressure if I want to, and clipping and un-clipping stages in longer an issue.

Also, why not keep a high pressure device that can end your dive for good if busted out of harms way.....take that SPG off the waist d-ring and clip it to where it makes more sense, no-one ever said that the only location for it is on your waist. After all we are all diving for our own and think for our own right? You do what works for you and not what works some other guy.

Also to help with the shoulder d-ring congestion, I have added a second d-ring to both sides of my harness for misc clips.....and you know what, it works like a charm.

Diver0001 articulated well what I was trying to say. But if it works for you, more power.

I did try it a few times and I found it made a cluttered mess of my left chest area and that it stuck out to far from my body. It caught on every line and pile of silt I swam passed.

So, I went back to the hip d-ring. Nice and out of the way.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom