Spiegel Grove, Duane & Bibb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tjmills:
It definetly was not the Benwood. I have also been there and that is not the wreck we were on that day. In fact I was just there a few weeks ago and you are right that it is a junk yard.

Most of this is from memory and due to some over indulgence in college it could be flawed. :) Although I did write this in my log book.

What I remember is large sheets of steel laying on their sides and broken over on each other. Some were flat and some were leaning up against each other. No real super structure to as it could have been a junkyard rather than a wreck. The Duane was intact. Spiegel was intact. Eagle was intact. Benwood was a junkyard. Bibb was a junkyard.

We should get Captain Gary on here to give us a better description.
The Bibb is, in fact, intact from the bottom of her keel to the top of her radar mast. She's just like the Duane, only deeper and sideways (she lies on her starboard rail in 130-140fsw). What you have described is definitely not the Bibb. What depth do you show for the site in question?

KeyLargoBrent:
The Bibb is, in fact, intact from the bottom of her keel to the top of her radar mast. She's just like the Duane, only deeper and sideways (she lies on her starboard rail in 130-140fsw). What you have described is definitely not the Bibb. What depth do you show for the site in question?

Now that you mention it I actually show 40 feet which now concerns me because I know the Bibb is in deeper water now (90-130) Hmmmm... This could be a mistake on my part. Sorry guys.

Now I am pissed that I didn't go there a few weeks ago.

tjmills:
Now that you mention it I actually show 40 feet which now concerns me because I know the Bibb is in deeper water now (90-130) Hmmmm... This could be a mistake on my part. Sorry guys.

Now I am pissed that I didn't go there a few weeks ago.

Sounds like a valid reason for another trip in the very near future :wink:

aue-mike:
A lot of people mis-identify the more common reef shark (Carcharhinus perezi) with a bull shark. It seems every toothy critter is a "bull shark" to divers....

I agree with you Mike. I believe they are reef sharks. I've only seen one bull shark in the Keys.

BILLB:
I want to mention a great dive shop in Tavenier. Diver City. They do all the wrecks and will do two dives on them too. You must be a known entity to the owner, Barbara, to do two dives. She also does the night dives on the Duane and Eagle.

Located at MM90 she is located not that far away for all the great wrecks in the Key Largo area. She also has steel tanks and any kind of gas you are qualified to use.

Diving in currents on the wrecks in Key Largo is a fact of life. To decend on the wreck, the boat does either a "hot drop" or ties up on the stern so you can easily grab the down line to the wreck. Then you do your dive. I have been lucky in that all the currents I have ever encountered generally take you from the stern to bow. You can then ascend and once on the surface, release your hold on the line (buoy) and drift free until the boat swings around and picks you up. Barb does this as well as anyone I have ever dove with. If the currents are really strong, a second dive will usually be a deep drift dive. No shallow reefs here!

Did I mention that Diver City service is also wonderful. Give them a try. You will not be disappointed.

I'm diving with Barb and Diver City here in a couple weeks. We're doing several dives including the Spiegal Grove, Duane, Eagle and I believe the Bibb as well. Can't wait to get down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom