Spinal Stenosis increase risk of DCS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine is considering taking a diving course with his son who had a scary paralysis event playing football a few years ago. The son is 16 and spent some time in a halo and has fully recovered. Although the injury was caused by acute trauma, he was diagnosed as having a spinal stenosis (do not know to what extent - ie. which vertebre)

They were told in a casual conversation that their son was at higher risk for DCS problems due to his previous injury and stenosis.

Have you ever heard of this? Is this young man at increased risk?

I have Cervical Stenosis and have been diving for 43 years...It's certainly not going to put a halt my passion.

Recognizing that there is an increased risk if DCS in the cervical region and the possible consequences, I do dive more conservatively when I dive deep and only use nitrox when I'm deep.

It's been 2 years since my diagnosis and over 200 dives with no incident. Also noteworthy, the condition existed several years prior to my "official" diagnosis with several hundred dives under my belt

Back
Top Bottom