Spinner shark?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

louisianadiver

Contributor
Reaction score
We've been seeing these little (3-5') sharks in the Gulf of Mexico at the Flower Gardens Banks and around nearby oil rigs. The ones seen at the actual banks are almost always solitary; the ones around the rigs are organized in schools of 10 or so animals. Most sightings are early morning or late afternoon. I believe these are spinners, Carcharhinus brevipinna. On one occasion several years ago I witnessed spinners jumping in this area, so I know they're around. Can anyone confirm this ID? -Clay

One of a school around a High Island oil rig:
ccbbcd30.jpg

Solitary shark at the East Flower Gardens Bank
a58bbd70.jpg

I am not sure but thats a great picture

Your photos correspond to the ID characters that Fishbase has for this species.

:fish::hm:Louisianadiver, the photo of shark at The Flower Gardens could be a Mako???
Try Ichthyology at the University of Florida Museum of Natural History, George Burgess and all may be able to assist with identification.
The dorsal fin does not look long enough to be a spinner however pictures can be deceiving.
Good Luck,
Keeze

That is most assuredly NOT a mako. :sharks:

Ok, I think I have the definitive word on these sharks from none other than, perhaps, the world's best authority on Atlantic sharks, Dr. Jose Castro. The top shark is, indeed, a spinner. However, the second shark (with the diver) is an ordinary Carib reef shark. Dr. Castro had not heard of Carib reefs so far north, but there it is. -Clay

Castro's giving us a seminar on shark reproduction at the end of November. There is no way in hell I am missing that talk.

Castro is the real deal.:drummer: It's great that you received verification from such a source.

Thanks to Louisianadiver for the photos and identification of sharks. They are such magnificent creatures. However here in the FL Keys we see mostly Nurse Sharks and sometimes Greater Hammerhead on the Reefs. In shore around the Mangroves we see a few Lemon, Bonnetheads and young Nurse Sharks.
Again thanks for sharing
Carmen

never heard of a spinner shark, doesn't mean anything though, there are some 500 shark varieties.

these both look like silkys, although I'm not sure they are in the Gulf of Mex., the F.G. fish is possibly the common grey reef shark. with the hint of the black on the tailfin, sub-dorsals and pecs. althouth the body type seems a little too slender...going back to the silky :D

beautiful animals regardless

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom