Spisni study

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was going to guess "hours" so was on the right track :)
Seems like a big penalty on a 30min dive.

To be fair, one of the reasons the penalty is so big is because air deco is an exceptionally inefficient way of off-gassing the medium/slow tissues that you are loading up during the deep stops. Using deco gases (particularly oxygen) would make that difference much smaller.

I haven't tried it but this is eyebrow raising. I would intuitively expect exactly the opposite as was Richard's experience as posted above.

R..

Thinking about it, there are a couple of reasons why Richard's experience might not be due to something being 'wrong' depending on team config and profile - when I dive OC with CCR buddies, my computer regularly shows a much shorter TTS than theirs for two reasons:

1. They are on a constant FHe throughout the ascent, so they don't get the benefits of a faster He off-gassing gradient after switching to nitrox 50 or oxygen.

2. They can only get to about PPO2 of 1.4 or 1.5 at 6m, while I sit at 1.6 on oxy.

The difference in the water is greatest for dives with maybe 30-60 minutes of deco with 50% and O2. Shorter decos on just 50% they come out fairly similar, and for longer decos than 60 mins my backgas breaks also even out a lot of the difference again.

Edit - just to be clear I'm happy to wait it out for as long as those newfangled rebreathey things need to be OK to surface. :D

Last edited:
All the more reason I would like to hear Simon check in on this discussion. I have nothing but reverence for the technical divers on this board but I'm hoping to be able to hang my thinking up on the coat hook of science.

Perhaps it's a sad commentary on my diving that after 34 years of scuba diving and 16 years of technical diving I'm still looking for some kind of solid ground by which to evaluate the choices I make.....

Maybe this is a case of knowing more and more about less and less until you know everything about nothing.... :)

R..

The first time I remember ever using a "live" computer during a dive I was diving on a wreck in the North Sea. The dive was to 36m and I was using ean32 and ean50.

I forgot to put the computer in gauge mode before the dive. I noticed it during descent but decided to keep on diving anyway.

Because the computer was turned on it gave me a run time of about ... something like 1:45 min. (it was a while ago but this is probably in the ball park). The run time according to tables was about 90 minutes. I followed my plan and bent the computer

I had a similar-but-different experience a few years ago: I was doing some tech dives in a relatively remote location without much logistics support so borrowed my wife's nitrox computer as an additional bottom timer backup. At some point before one dive, it somehow reset itself from gauge to air computer mode in the dive bag (it had those tap-interface thingys). During the dive (actually this one: ),
I was only really paying attention to displayed depth and time, so I didn't notice it thought I was breathing air until I had completed an awesome 55 minutes at 45 metres average depth and was some way through deco, by which point the computer was becoming increasingly unhappy with my behaviour. When I surfaced it still thought I had well over two and a half hours of deco remaining.

So the lesson I took from this experience was somewhat different to yours; my lesson was that if I had been depending on the computer for my plan then I'd have been possibly screwed, possibly inconvenienced, but any way round it would have been worse than the mild amusement that the situation actually caused. So, I'm not a purist that will say you should never have a dive computer in computer mode on you, particularly now that there exist computers that are way more suitable for advanced diving than there were 10-15 years ago - hell, after 10 years of deco diving on nothing more than a Uwatec 330m bottom timer I now own a Perdix and even programme in the gasses I'll be using. Yes we do sometimes spend quite a bit of time as a team kicking about plans for the bigger dives and yes it is sometimes tempting to be lazy and skip the planning stage, but I'm not getting in the water without a quiver of plans that I'm confident of following whether or not the computer keeps working, and GUE methodology works just great for that.

Last edited:
Now that you say this, I think we had this discussion before on another thread and ended up agreeing to disagree.

That said, I'd like to get clarification on the quote above.

I fully understand the part about gas logistics because RD is tuned to suit DIR standard gasses. That said, if you enter the mix in a computer then the computer is also "tuned" to the standard gasses, so to me that point is kind of like saying that since a sundial is tuned to the sun that it is somehow more practical than a watch. However, we previously agreed to disagree so I'm not going to debate the nuances of this. I will concede the point that RD is, indeed, tuned to standard gasses.

It's the second part I don't get. RD is an ascent strategy, as opposed to a model. When you say it takes diver training level into consideration it triggers me to think that this whole time we've been comparing apples and oranges.

Since RD is not a deco model it is, indeed, unfair to compare it to something like Buhlmann. I think this is where your comment about practicality comes from and your comment above. Am I right about this?

I hadn't thought on how to phrase and elaborate this.
I'll use an example.
Using Nx50 at 21m instead of O2 at 6m is not sensible from a purely physiological decompression perspective, unless you subscribe to a notion that the ppO2=1.6 has significant weight over the tissue supersaturation level. And even so, even if one thought that tissue supersaturation level means absolutely nothing, if the ppO2 is equal, one might as well have it closer to the surface.
Right?
From a physiological decompression perspective, there is little to suggest that the 21m-option/NX50 (assuming you're limited to 1 deco tank here - for instance due to diver training limits) would ever be preferable over 6m/O2. And, as far as it's feasible, we prefer O2.

However, there comes a point (1:1, as it happens) where a double-set of 12Ls or 80s won't cover your bottom gas and Rock Bottom all the way to 6m. So we install a "next available gas" much deeper, at 21m, so we can reach that sooner and thereby reserve less gas.
This is a gas logistics-driven decision, not a physiological decompression-driven one.

In this example, we're taking a step away from what's physiologically most sensible (optimal) because we don't want two divers to drown if I blow an O-ring (practical).

I think it would then be blurring the picture to compare the ascend using O2, to the ascend using Nx50 and discard Nx50 for being suboptimal in terms of physiological decompression.

I'm not sure if that answers your question..?

If I zoom out to the big picture then I actually think you're right in a way. An ascent strategy IS a necessary part of the diver's repertoire. "Blindly" following a computer is probably not wise. In fact blindly following ANY ascent strategy is not wise. What you're saying here seems to be along those lines. Where the disconnect happens is when you assume that since a computer suggests a certain ascent approach that you are *obligated* to follow that approach. You are not.

Lately, a great deal of energy has been put into the discussion about *efficiency* of different ascent strategies and the corresponding risks. That said, you *could* make a deep stop using Buhlmann. You could, in fact, make an entire RD type ascent using Buhlmann. In some cases you may (probably would) have to add extra time to the last stop in order to compensate for the inefficiency of the ascent, but it could be done and I think it could be done safely as long as you considered your last stop a "mop up" stop to fix whatever you did before that.

Absolutely. I mean, I don't kid myself that all the heavy-end divers out there using computers are just around because they're extremely lucky.
Of course they're taking their computers and algorithms into a greater context, which includes an armada of practical considerations.
The thing I like about RD is, a lot of that has already been done "out of the box". Not the optimal deep stop emphasis, but the ppO2s, rock bottoms and diver training concerns are already catered to off-the-bat.

Compared to my experience in my initial tech diving, with more traditional dive planning methods (computer, backup, wetnotes, laptop, V-planner), I find RD much easier to use. But, in fairness, also far more taxing to learn!

I personally went back to rec diving while learning it, and then re-expanded my comfort zone back to tech diving when I was ready.
By that time, I was comfortable doing so and I found it about as easy to plan dives and calculate adaptations as looking at a computer read-out. But that wasn't the case in the beginning.
My view is RD should stress the diver's learning curve - but should not stress the diver's capacity on the dive.
For me, that meant I needed to put any Billy-Big-Bananas diving on hold while I developed my RD/RockBottom-savvy on cozy flower-dives.
Fine by me.

Then I got to thinking about why....

At first, I thought what you did..... That the computer and the table dive could be compared on equal terms.

But then I remembered the one most important thing about computers.... they give you longer bottom times because they eliminate the rounding errors built into the tables! We all preach that to our students now. Buy a computer for longer bottom times... nobody makes a bucket profile.....

Even though this was a wreck dive I clearly didn't spend 100% of my time at the maximum depth and the computer knew that. The table was based on an erroneous assumption that this would be the case. The deco times were different because (aside from differences in deco model) the computer knew what I had ACTUALLY done... I, however, did not.

Even calculating average depth on the fly you're going to be off. You have a data point every now and then but the computer samples your depth every few seconds and recalculates the entire dive based upon a very accurate average depth. A human could never come close to that. My conclusion, after thinking it all through, is that, like tables, the average depth calculation has enough "slop" in it to have a significant effect on your deco times.

Maybe not enough to get you bent (on every dive) but enough that trusting in-your-head-average-depth-calculations isn't sounding wise to me when you can strap something to your wrist that does it perfectly.

Yeah, for sure! I mean, computers will always be more accurate.
Let me use another example to illustrate my thinking on it:

When I check my gas, I calculate what it ought to be, based on my time and depth.
I then look at the SPG and confirm.
If my calculated number and the one on the SPG don't align, that's an alarm - either my SPG is busted, or my gas consumption is different to what I'd expected it to be ("respiration system compromised")
I like that approach because it gives me 1) early warning if my gas consumption is off plan, and/or 2) confirmation that my SPG is/isn't working as intended.

When I check my depth, I calculate what it ought to be, based on my time and depth.
I then look at the gauge and confirm.
If my calculated number and the one on the gauge don't align - either my gauge is busted, or my thinking is different from I'd expected it to be ("thinking system compromised").
I like that approach because it gives me 1) early warning if I'm approaching the fringes of my comfort zone, and/or 2) confirmation that my gauge is/isn't working as intended.

I agree that I'm sacrificing a bit of accuracy if I'm going solely by depth averaging instead of gauge.
But in practice, I'm actually not relying solely on either.
What I'm doing instead, is mine my mind for as much data as possible because I believe it may give me an advantage (i.e. early warning of stress and control of gauge function).

However, translating it to a standard deco will probably always be suboptimal, just like using a table.
I personally think it's worth it, and try to cut the loss - most often by erring on the shallow/"aggressive" side.

I land on the conclusion that the above makes sense, because my belief is that the single greatest threat to my personal safety, is my own brain.

I think I see where you are going here. I only have an anecdote to offer but since I started diving CCR 4 yrs ago all of my adjusted and tweaked RD has basically been tossed. I still do an average depth in my head. I still carry GUE/UTD standard gases. If everything poops out I could do an RD ascent like I used to do on OC.

Yeah, I speaks to me too, being able to turn a knob on the BOV and then be back from RB to an O/C tech dive with the same gases, deco/ascend and all that I'm used to. I think it makes sense, even if that's a different animal from physiologically optimal.

Where it gets interesting is what happens side by side with an RD diver. My on CCR using 40/70 or 40/80 (depends on the dive) and them on OC using RD. We actually have fairly comparable total deco times.

The NEDU shallow stop profile is fairly close to GF 93/43
The NEDU deep stop profile is 'kinda something like' GF 42/70 (though the gradient factors of the consecutive stops don't fit a normal GF progression)

Yep. That's how I look at it, too - it's not exactly a black/white comparison.
With RD2.0 it's shallower still than kinda GF42/70, but it's not like what we're talking about here are extremes, i.e. "deep" (GF0/0) versus "shallow" (GF100/100). Sometimes, it seems like discussions on the matter forget that, we're talking about much smaller nuance differences than some epic battle of extreme opposites in the world of scuba. It's much smaller than that.

To be fair, one of the reasons the penalty is so big is because air deco is an exceptionally inefficient way of off-gassing the medium/slow tissues that you are loading up during the deep stops. Using deco gases (particularly oxygen) would make that difference much smaller.

Yes, absolutely.
One of the aspects of the NEDU-study's nature, valuable as it is, is that it greatly aggregates things (necessarily so, but all the same).
There is no doubt that using "real world" decompression gases instead of air, would make the study significantly less powerful but more representative of dives that recreational bounce-divers (us lot) actually do.

To be sure, that certainly does not mean it's not relevant, it's just something that we need to keep in mind when we look at it.

Snip
I land on the conclusion that the above makes sense, because my belief is that the single greatest threat to my personal safety, is my own brain.

Your last sentence is the most persuasive argument I have found to not rely on RD for monitoring your dive or calculating your decompression. Any other uses of it I find of potential value but the idea that the single greatest threat to my personal safety is my brain and I am counting on it's precision and accuracy in two areas(memory and calculations while multitasking) that we know the brain to be prone to error, makes me opposed to taking my training in that direction. As a supplement to a Perdix, I have no problem with it but the computer is the primary just as I would never trust my perception over my instruments if I was on instruments in a plane with impaired visibility.

I am not trained in either activity. This is my judgement for me alone based on my comfort with my mental abilities and I'm no lightweight in that regard. I run numbers and patterns in my head almost continually to keep myself occupied. RD is natural for my kind of brain but it isn't an area where my brain can compete with even a mediocre computer.

@Diver0001 some anecdotal evidence.

On 4 x 50m dives with a BT of around 20-25 minutes, I had one team mate on RD and myself on GF. I did my dive plan for 40/80 and compared to his RD plan. In all cases the plans were very close to each other, his had a deeper first stop for a minute then pretty much matched up. We agreed to use his plan with the proviso that any computer stops had to be cleared before ascent.

In water, we ran his profile and I monitored my Perdix. All my stops cleared a minute or two earlier than his and when we got out, I was on a GF99 of around 70.

On one of the dives, another RD teammate had us wait an extra 2 minutes at 6m to clear his Petrel, he had 30/70 set.

These dives were all on 21/35 and 50 for deco.

But then I remembered the one most important thing about computers.... they give you longer bottom times because they eliminate the rounding errors built into the tables! We all preach that to our students now. Buy a computer for longer bottom times... nobody makes a bucket profile.....

They also track ascent and descent times with more precision. That is most evident with "1-2-minute stops that clear before you get to the stop depth" -- you don't get to the stop in zero time, dep. on how long you took you may or may not "off-gased enough already". Track that in your head.

... enough that trusting in-your-head-average-depth-calculations isn't sounding wise to me when you can strap something to your wrist that does it perfectly.

"Computers make very fast very accurate misteaks".

Last edited:
And herein lies the entire argument throughout this, and many other, threads. Who is appointed the grand poobah that determines what the best practice actually is?

To me, DIR is a mindset more than a configuration, protocol or specific solution model. They could have signed off on that mindset in 1805 and it'd probably still be valid in 2105 irrespective of how the tools may or may not change.

Your last sentence is the most persuasive argument I have found to not rely on RD for monitoring your dive or calculating your decompression. Any other uses of it I find of potential value but the idea that the single greatest threat to my personal safety is my brain and I am counting on it's precision and accuracy in two areas(memory and calculations while multitasking) that we know the brain to be prone to error, makes me opposed to taking my training in that direction. As a supplement to a Perdix, I have no problem with it but the computer is the primary just as I would never trust my perception over my instruments if I was on instruments in a plane with impaired visibility.

I hear what you're saying.
To me, it's not a blind trust though - my brain may fail, but I have to look at the context in which it may do so:

I'd need to forget about the initial plan so I'm actually flying blind in either case, then I'd need to adjust incorrectly (remember, I do have my own backup to depth averaging so that'll be sanity checked) and then land on an off number for my first stop or time while everybody else in the team makes the exact same identical mistake, on a framework ("table") we're intimately familiar with.

They wouldn't just have to also adjust wrong, but adjust wrong and land on the same exact number as me.
And it'd have to deviate by such a magnitude that it actually has an impact, unchecked by 2-3 different divers in agreement.

I'm ok with that, but I acknowledge of course that's my own choice, and it'll need to stand on my own accord.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom