Split Fins... Again.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I've been meaning to try the Apollos that Mike F. sent me again. My first outing with them I was able to do all the customary fin kicks... though with no where near the efficiency of the Turtle fins.

Every dive I have been taking the splits along... but I also had the Turtles in the truck... and sure enough... at the last minute I always grabbed the Turtles.

Sooo... Tuesday I forced myself to leave the Turtles at home. I figured that would be easier than trying to force myself to leave them in the truck once at the dive site.

Arrrrggggghhhh....

I really like my Turtles. Yes I can get these splits to work for almost anything but it is like digging a hole with a stick when you have a shovel in the garage.

As far as making speed in current better with splits... no way... but if I really wanted to scurry around I would use a scooter anyway.

But the real clincher is my SAC using them!

Arrrrggggghhhh....

if it works .. it works ...

maybe the turtles are ment to be

chrpai once bubbled...
Can you elaborate?
Same site/current state/profile/swimming style/buddy/gas/equipment (except for the splits) my SAC was ~.10 cf/minute higher than with the Turtles (.54 cf/min. as opposed to .44cf/min.)

To compare apples with apples I carried out the dive as I would normally; covering approximately the same distance while frog kicking/ stopping/ helicoptering/ hovering/ backing up, ect.

Hope this clarification helps.

Snowbear once bubbled...
how do you unteach someone how to use them when making an honest attempt to switch to Jetfins?
Takes a bit to build muscle memory for the correct Frog Kick.

When you are doing it properly you will kick and then glide.
When you are doing it automatically you will kick and gliiiiiiiiide.

The more glide per kick the lower your air consumption.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Every dive I have been taking the splits along... but I also had the Turtles in the truck... and sure enough... at the last minute I always grabbed the Turtles.

Sooo... Tuesday I forced myself to leave the Turtles at home. I figured that would be easier than trying to force myself to leave them in the truck once at the dive site.

Arrrrggggghhhh....

I really like my Turtles. Yes I can get these splits to work for almost anything but it is like digging a hole with a stick when you have a shovel in the garage.

The best place to leave the split fins is UNDER the truck! I have found that my sac rate is .10 cf/min higher with the splits as well!:)

Safe Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom