Split fins v paddle fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dude, I have seen those flip fins on dive boats, interesting looking! would hate to jump in the water without "unflipping" them :D

I do it all the time.
dave_greatescape1.jpg

I think using a slide would be better, one of those aircraft emergency exit slides...

An age old question!

Okay, here's my take on fins, split vs. paddle.

First of all, it is a good idea to more accurately define the type of paddle fins. Some are relatively soft and others are much stiffer. So when asking about paddles (or blades) vs. splits, it is a good idea to be specific about the kind of paddles you are talking about, stiff or not so stiff.

I've used various types of paddle or blade fins, including jets (both xl and medium) Diverite blades (two sizes), OMS Splitstreams, Aqualung Slingshots as well as various cheaper rental fins. I have also used Scubapro split jets.

I find with the split jets, I can easily over kick them. When I need real power, such as trying to get back on a boat, or finning fast in a current, the splits just don't seem to give me what I need. Oddly, I also get cramps when I wear them --which doesn't seem to happen with most paddle fins.

The softer paddle fins feel much more like splits, and don't really have the force I need in current, which is why for technical diving I rely on paddle fins, like the OMS Slipstreams.

For general diving, I use the Diverite fins and for purely recreational diving I really like the Aqualung Slingshots.

If I am diving doubles, a rebreather or pushing a big camera through the water, I rely on the stiffer paddles. I also use paddles if I know there will be current.

I have sold my Split Jets.

Jeff

I would have done a back one and a half roll.

What you don't see is that I already completed a full gainer before splashing in.:wink:

FWIW, I don't think there is a lot of difference. I wanted fins that were positive and there aren't many. One was the Atomic split fin. I got a pair and like them. I don't know if they are any "better" than my paddle fins, but they certainly aren't any "worse." I don't feel inclined to do any timed swims with them. i usually am not in any hurry to get anywhere while diving anyway.

They may require a little less effort to dive with and may therefore reduce my air consumption, but I don't know. I know most people who have them either feel the way I do or love them. I haven't found many people who don't like theirs. There are a lot of people opposed to the whole concept and hate them on that basis.

The idea that they don't do well in current is confusing to me. Current isn't a magical force and if they work fine moving me through the water with little or no current, they should work okay in current and not somehow be rendered useless. I suppose it could be that they lose effectiveness when driven hard and for most of us that only occurs in current? I can get my head around that, but don't know if it is true.

You (the original OP) need to update your profile. If you were doing 2 dives a day for three months you have a lot more dives than listed in your profile.

I read on the Internet that you'd die if you use split fins.

Back
Top Bottom