Sport diving gases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have titanium regs (I doubt that based on your post), then there is some controversy about the use of titanium and nitrox. I have some that I got a really great deal on and dive 32% with them on a regular basis. No problems.

What is the controversy with titanium regs and nitrox. I don't have titanium regs but I am nitrox certified but haven't heard of this controversy - could you explain please?

CDNScubaMoose:
What is the controversy with titanium regs and nitrox. I don't have titanium regs but I am nitrox certified but haven't heard of this controversy - could you explain please?
Essentially, it's a question of compatability. Titanium reacts readily with high concentrations of O2, so it's use in regulators intended for diving elevated concentrations of O2 under pressure is maybe not the best idea, and almost certainly not worth paying extra for.

It's probably not a big deal for recreational mixes, but if you're doing deco on a high %O2, I wouldn't recommend putting a titanium reg on the bottle.

Dive-aholic:
Or you can dive the air tables and decrease your decompression risk.

Using air tables when diving Nitrox provides a nice extra measure of conservatism by assuming a higher content of N2 when in reality your breathing gas contains a lesser amount. It should just be mentioned that diving Nitrox is not just as simple as getting your tanks filled with EANx and continuing to dive the way you always have on air tables. Proper training is required to dive Nitrox, which I'm glad the OP is aware of and seeking more info on in his original post :D.

With nitrox it is necessary to not only track nitrogen exposure like with the air tables, but also other additional limits, e.g. O2 partial pressure limits, total O2 exposure within any 24 hour period, etc. These are tracked using other tables in addition to the air/nitrox Recreational Dive Planner (RDP) tables. PADI uses DSAT tables to track permitted exposure to O2 partial pressures. Tracking maximum oxygen depths (MOD) to avoid oxygen toxicity is also necessary; these are different to air NDL depth limits; PADI uses a table for this also.

I know the above seems trivial and kind of obvious, but I don't want to just assume that the OP knows this :coffee:

CDNScubaMoose:

Matt already answered your question. I've also heard that even recreational mixes can cause combustion. I researched it and didn't find any official documentation on this. In fact, the only combustion that's been documented was in ideal conditions with 100% oxygen...and it didn't happen every time! I got a great deal on my regs - about 25% of MSRP, so I couldn't pass it up. They were less than other regs. Those are my recreational regs.

ReefMongoose, thanks for clarifying that. I thought about adding the MOD stuff, but didn't want to get to involved in the thread other than the short statement on 32% and 110'.

Dive-aholic:
ReefMongoose, thanks for clarifying that. I thought about adding the MOD stuff, but didn't want to get to involved in the thread other than the short statement on 32% and 110'.
No worries. I dive by Steven Seagal's motto: "Assumption is the mother of all [censored]" :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom