Spots for scallops around Point Arena, CA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CA_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I've been looking for a place to pick up some scallops around Point Arena. A place with scallops and decent fish would be a plus. I head up there with my buddy just about every fall, and it would be nice to bag a couple of nice scallops to serve up along side some fresh abalone.

We usually launch a tender sized (~12ft) fiberglass hulled inflatable out of the harbor, so we have a range of several miles but won't like to venture too far from home if at all possible.

I've heard things about Arena Rock, but don't know much about it i.e. where it is, what type of conditions to expect other than it requires 3 guys (two to dive, one to tend to the boat), etc. I'd love to learn more.

If there are others spots, I'd love to hear them too, but I do understand that you may not want to give up your honey holes.

Thanks in advance.

There are several places to find scallops near Point Arena, but the best is Wash Rock(Arena Rock). Wash Rock can be brutal. Not a beginner dive. Can be VERY strong currents that can come up while you're down and you WON'T be able to get to the boat unless you have a current line. I got washed out to sea once there and had to be rescued. 7 knot current. There's 2 rocks. Due north of the Lighthouse. On a flat day hard to find unless you have a Gps or drive around for hours with a depthfinder. The closest rock is about 15 ft from the surface and almost always has white wash, hence the name Wash Rock. The 2nd is about 35 ft under and both go to 90-100'. Sheer walls with caves. LOTS of Ling, but hit and miss. Can be lots of Vermillions and Red Snapper. Huge Red Snappers, 20 pds +. Scallops are all over the walls and in the caves. A gorgeous dive, one of the most beautiful in Calif, but again caution it can be very dangerous. We've had many great vis days there where we could see the boat at 60 ft.
There's scallops right off the point of the Lighthouse below 60 ft. Nice boulder formations. Also a great spot for Lings and bass by the thousands and a couple ship wrecks. There's spots all up and down the coast north and south of the harbor. Look for big boulder formations on the Depth finder and there's almost always fish. Scallops you have to put the time in finding spots. My favorite find is the Puget Sound Crab. The BEST crab on the planet. They're bizzare looking. They look like a big box and their legs fold up in their body. Hard to see. The meat cooks pink and is unbelievable. If worst comes to worse... buy some Salmon off the local fisherman or some Albacore, or Dungnenous crab before season ends and don't tell anyone you bought it.

I got 22 acrs up there!!!! Diving!!! you must be kiddin!!!...talk to me

There are several places to find scallops near Point Arena, but the best is Wash Rock(Arena Rock). Wash Rock can be brutal. Not a beginner dive. Can be VERY strong currents that can come up while you're down and you WON'T be able to get to the boat unless you have a current line. I got washed out to sea once there and had to be rescued. 7 knot current. There's 2 rocks.
My favorite find is the Puget Sound Crab. The BEST crab on the planet. They're bizzare looking. They look like a big box and their legs fold up in their body. Hard to see. The meat cooks pink and is unbelievable. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tips. I heard about Arena Rock, just didn't know it's exact location. Also heard it was a three man job, two divers, one to pick up said divers and to tend the boat. My buddy and I haven't done much exploring, just around the mouth of the harbor by some exposed rock outcroppings. We nailed some big blues that were like 4 pounds a piece. They were just schooling around us for about 10 minutes, so we just gave in to the temptation. And the abs at 60ft were just HUGE, plentiful, and just sitting nonchalantly on the tops of rocks, it was quite amazing. If only I could make it down 60 ft on a single breath, find and pry an ab, get back to the surface... Anyway Thanks for the tips tho, guess we'll have to do more exploring before the closure next year.

My favorite find is the Puget Sound Crab. The BEST crab on the planet. They're bizzare looking. They look like a big box and their legs fold up in their body. Hard to see. The meat cooks pink and is unbelievable.

I'll keep my eye out =P

Out of curiosity - is this the Puget Sound Crab? I used to study crabs at one point and I never ran across the name before.

Lopholithodes mandtii

It also states that it's a protected species in Oregon. These anomuran crabs are tasty!!!

X

Anyone going to the Picasso Open next week. We are going up to Van Damme Friday morning.

The Puget Sound King Crab can be found along the Mendocino coast.
Puget Sound king crab

Back
Top Bottom