Spotted Eagle Ray that actually changes colors!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blazinator

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a contract to make a mobile of tropical fish for Children's Hospital in Honolulu from the color-changing material that I manufacture, and realized that rays are perfect subjects for thermoforming (acrylic), then my wife suggested I put spots on them (one of my product line patterns called "Leopard"), and I realized that the Eagle Ray was perfect for this:

spotted%20eagle%20ray-dble-1280txt.jpg

The video doesn't show it clearly enough, but the material changes color at different viewing angles.

More info here: Architectural Glass Design | Changing Color Glass | Dichroic Glass

They are pretty laborious to make, and I don't intend to make a living on them for sure (my other exotic projects take care of that), but I might sell them for $95.00 each.

Manta Rays and nudibranchs are my next attempts.

I LOVE IT!!!

i want one!!!
now imagining my ceiling covered in multi colored rays... awesome!

keep up the great work...

Very cool.

Love these! You should make more and sell them!

Actually, I have decided to make a limited production of them, and Teddy from the other thread on my color-changing mobile, decided to buy one, and here is what he said about it when he got it:

"Just received my Eagle Ray from John Blazy (Blazinator), and it is gorgeous! I can't do justice with my photography, so I recommend a visit to his website. It really changes colors in the sunlight, and picks up colors from its surroundings (the walls where it's hung are light purple). A real standout in our rather eclectic house. Thanks, Blazinator!"

So yes, they are for sale at $95.00 each including shipping.

Here is the link to Teddy's thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/marine-art-photography/283225-john-blazy-amazing.html

Just a followup to my post a few days ago. Yes, the Eagle Ray is wonderful! If John ever expands his line to include other fish, eels, etc., I'll be in line to purchase them. It was easy to hang (not heavy), and if hung near a fan, it rotates and changes color constantly.

By the way, Teddy is a "she"............

Thanks again, Blazinator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom