Spring Break 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iwalkathinline

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello All!

I'm coming to Florida for Spring Break 2012 (Tuesday, March 13th through Saturday, March 17th to be exact), and I'm looking for some guidance from friendly locals please. I'm bringing my family too, so the first question would be regarding lodging... Can someone recommend an area that's not too far from the coral reef (I don't mind driving a little, but hopefully not too far) and has nice, well kept public beaches? Secondly, what are the 'must dive' spots that I shouldn't miss? I'm hoping to dive 2 days, but what should I make sure I hit? The reason I decided to become certified is because as a teenager I went snorkeling off The Keys, and knew that it would've been so much sweeter to stay down instead of having to come up for air so often - so this will be sort of a childhood dream.

Anyway, I'll need to rent some gear as well... Any suggestions on boat charters, dive locations, dive shops, and a good area to stay in would be greatly appreciated! The Keys, The Everglades, and nice public beaches are the things I'm looking for. I'd love to meet a dive buddy on here as well! I'm NAUI certified and excited about the trip!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

If you are looking to beach dive, Lauderdale by the Sea is a great location. Gold Coast Scuba rents gear and they also have some hotel packages too. If you want to go on a boat rather than a walk off the beach, they can arrange for boat trips too. Ft Lauderdale and Pompano have anything from very shallow reefs (less than 30 feet) to very deep wrecks and everything in-between. Gold Coast also sponsors a meetup group so you can find other beach divers or hook up with one of their boat trips

link to the meetup group Gold Coast Scuba Divers (954) 616-5909 (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - Meetup

direct link to the shop: Gold Coast Scuba » Your Site Name

info on beach diving at Lauderdale by the Sea http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-conch-divers/290550-lauderdale-sea-beach-dive.html

If you are interested in drift diving West Palm Beach and Jupiter are great locations. There's a Marriott on Singer Island with a nice beach and that would put you close to Force-E dive shop, Pura Vida, Jupiter Dive Center and many others.

If you are going to Key Largo: you'll have many options for dive operators like Silent World, Conch Republic Divers, Quiescence, etc. (I've dove them all and they are great). There's also a Marriott in Key Largo that looks like a really nice facility: plus Pirate Divers is located on-site.

I've rented a two bedroom condo in this little development that was pretty nice. It is located close to Conch Republic Divers: http://www.providentresorts.com/ocean-pointe-suites/

Keep in mind that much of the Keys are not known for their sand beaches like the rest of Florida: many places will have a tiny man-made beach or just a small patch of natural beach.

A fun restaraunt where you can watch the sun set over the bay while sitting in the out-door seating area is Mile Marker 88 (which is located, as the name suggests, at mile marker 88) http://www.marker88.info/

If your kids are really small: there is a cheesy marine park in the upper keys that little ones seem to find delightful. Its nothing like Sea World but might be the sort of place that inspired the orginal Sea World developer (much like cheesy amusement parks originally inspired Disney).. http://www.theaterofthesea.com/

Last edited:
That's great information! I went ahead & booked at Ocean Pointe, so thanks for the info. I know I'll want to see Christ of the Abyss, but are there any other sites that I should make sure I don't miss? Also, is that a nice beach at Lauderdale by the Sea? If so, I could have my family hang out there while I shore dive... I'm also planning on taking them to Mile Marker 88 for dinner. Your post has been thoroughly helpful!

If anyone has any other suggestions, or (more importantly) would be interested in diving with me... I need a buddy! I'll either dive on March 14th, 15th or 16th.

Thanks again @sportxlh

Lauderdale by the Sea is a few hours north, but just miles from me. I would absolutely be willing to be a "buddy" however I dont know if you would be interested in the drive. Pompano has many dives sites within this area, and many are accessible by shore. The beach has plenty to keep the family occupied, let me know if you have any interest in visiting Broward County while in Florida !!

Here's a good link with shore diving information:
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Florida, USA East
That includes an entry on Lauderdale by the Sea.
I did one shore dive in Ft. Lauderdale and cannot recall where it was. I think it was south of Oakland Park Rd. I thought it was entirely non-spectacular.

Lauderdale by the Sea is a few hours north, but just miles from me. I would absolutely be willing to be a "buddy" however I dont know if you would be interested in the drive. Pompano has many dives sites within this area, and many are accessible by shore. The beach has plenty to keep the family occupied, let me know if you have any interest in visiting Broward County while in Florida !!

Hi TonyErnst13, I apologize for the delay in responding! I'm an engineering student, so school keeps me very busy... Anyway, I don't mind driving and would love to have a buddy lined up already! I'm glad my family will be enjoying themselves while diving too, so it sounds like Lauderdale by the Sea is a go! I'll PM you so we can figure out details. Looking forward to it!

Here's a good link with shore diving information:
Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Florida, USA East
That includes an entry on Lauderdale by the Sea.
I did one shore dive in Ft. Lauderdale and cannot recall where it was. I think it was south of Oakland Park Rd. I thought it was entirely non-spectacular.

Hi AmyLoraR, thanks for letting me know! That stinks to hear that the dive wasn't all that impressive... That's a pretty nice beach though right? This way my family will at least get to spend some time on a really nice beach, just in case none of the ones down on The Keys are impressive. Do you have recommendations on better entry points or anything? I've haven't done any shore-diving yet, but want to gain experience with it just so I'm familiar.

iwalkathinline:
It was a good beginner's dive. I was diving with someone with less than 15 dives, who was just getting back in the water after 10 years and we wanted to brush up on skills and play with equipment. For that, it was perfect. I didn't notice a lot of reef or sea creatures, but there were some. The beach was quite lovely and pretty full of people. We were able to find a meter to park at about two blocks away from the beach. I just returned from a week of diving in Bonaire, which was primarily shore diving and besides that one dive in Ft. Lauderdale is the sum total of my shore diving experience, so, I don't have much to offer about entry points, or anything like that. I hope you have a great time! Let us know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom