Springs closer to east side of state?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pancakes74

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good morning from Florida!!! We’ve been visiting your beautiful state for a bit over a week (Key Largo) and are ready to permanently relocate (only half joking..). We’ve booked a few trips while we’re in the Keys, but will be driving up north on Saturday to eventually fly out of Savannah. We were going to dive the Crystal Springs area but were wondering if there was anything comparable closer to the east side of the state? We looked at Blue Springs but neither one of us are cave divers, and it also looks like it gets quite crowded. Thanks in advance

I suppose that depends on how far inland you can handle. And do you want only to scuba dive? Or is snorkeling ok.

Near Orlando you have wekiva springs (snorkel only), And Alexander Springs. Scuba/ OW is ok.

For Florida’s best open water springs, you can drive a little inland on your way to savanna and you have quite a few options. Ginnie Spring, Blue Grotto, Troy Springs, Rainbow River, Fanning Springs.

Does Blue Spings (Deltona) not allow open water divers anymore?

Blue Springs in Orange City can be done by open water divers, however they are limited to 60 feet and cannot carry lights. The Springs will be closed to divers for the winter November 14th so that might not within your time frame.

Thanks guys. We decided to stick w Crystal River and did the combo snorkel/dive with American Pro today. Some quick advice.. skip the manatee snorkel. All they did was load us up onto a pontoon boat and drive us 10 minutes up King Springs into what looked like a neighborhood harbor. Once a manatee was sighted, we all hovered around for an hour or so, taking photos. We did the Rainbow River drift dive in the afternoon which was amazing and I’d highly recommend. The dive is at K.P. Hole Park (you will meet there) where the boat dropped us off 10 min or so upriver. From there, it’s a 40 min drift dive with depths varying from 6 ft to 25 ft and amazing vis. I’ll try and remember to do a trip report when we’re back home, but here’s my overall recommendations:

If you must swim with a manatee, do a dive where they occasionally show up (not Rainbow River, they are blocked)

Do the Crystal River drift dive (and seriously consider extra protection..it’s cold! I wore a 3 mil shorty under a 3 mil full)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom