Sprint Galaxy S4 service in Cozumel, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all

Sprint has recently added foreign service (Mexico) to their American plan. It's free to add. Text and data is supposed to be at no cost, while voice calls cost something like .50 cents a minute.

Well, I called them to see what settings I would need to use to get service in Mexico. It sounded easy, no problem. Until I got to Cozumel. I changed the settings on my phone to the settings they recommended. And got nothing. No signal, no connection. So my phone was basically a camera while I was there. They had me change the roaming service to auto, among a few other setting changes.

I'm going to return to Cozumel in Mid September and would very much like to use my phone for texting and data. I do intend to call Sprint and talk to them again about what settings I need to use but my confidence is low that they will give me good information. So I thought I'd try here to see if one of my scuba diving friends has already been there and done that!

TIA for sharing your experiences!

All our friends and relatives with Sprint have a devil of a time getting the setup you're trying to do to work, they spend a lot of time with customer support back and forth and then try it again the next time they are there and it goes round and round... most end up never getting it to work.

Our friends and relatives with T-mobile just use their phones in Mexico with no problems and it's basically free with their international plan with free text and data and calls to mexican phone numbers are .20 a minute.

That's probably what will happen to me as well. My son in law got his Sprint phone to work in Canada.

Maybe when we get the next contract I'll look at changing hosts, if everything else if pretty much equal.

Just an FYi. I called Sprint and told them their international plan didn't work. They said they have another plan now that does work better. It has voice and text for free, and 1gb of data free. I'll try it out this month and see. Hopefully it really will work.

Recently dumped Sprint after 10 years and went with T-Mobile, now I just use my phone and everything is included and works. When the Internet via Cabelmas goes TU, I just tether my computer via the local Telcel 4G tower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom