SpyderCo has a winner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
For years I have been using a SpyderCo "Police" model (folding knife) as a secondary blade. No more.

I recently purchased and have been using a SpyderCo "Atlantic Salt" folding knife.
SpyderCo knows folding knives and this one "rocks". Rust proof, sharp, easy to open, use and close while wearing 7mm 3-finger mitts. The Police model, which rusts in salt water, is now resting.

Green_Manelishi:
For years I have been using a SpyderCo "Police" model (folding knife) as a secondary blade. No more.

I recently purchased and have been using a SpyderCo "Atlantic Salt" folding knife.
SpyderCo knows folding knives and this one "rocks". Rust proof, sharp, easy to open, use and close while wearing 7mm 3-finger mitts. The Police model, which rusts in salt water, is now resting.

post pics

gfisher4792:
I'm guessing this is what Green is describing: http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=173

Yup, that's what I am describing. SpyderCo's pics much nicer than any I would provide.

I've been carrying and using SpyderCo knives for many years and the only reason I was interested in a rust proof folding knife is because SpyderCo has one. Yes, Benchmade also makes rust proof blades using an "H" steel but it's a fixed blade and I am happy with the Buck Intrepid fixed blades I use as a primary knife. The Police model needed to be replaced before it was completely destroyed by the salt water.

Green_Manelishi:
Yup, that's what I am describing. SpyderCo's pics much nicer than any I would provide.

I've been carrying and using SpyderCo knives for many years and the only reason I was interested in a rust proof folding knife is because SpyderCo has one. Yes, Benchmade also makes rust proof blades using an "H" steel but it's a fixed blade and I am happy with the Buck Intrepid fixed blades I use as a primary knife. The Police model needed to be replaced before it was completely destroyed by the salt water.

spyderco has other knives that look mucg better and are also rust proof

damn for that price, it better not rust.

Hello everyone.

Just wanted to introduce myself and say "hi". I was surprised to see you posting about the Spyderco Salts.

Green Manelishi, thanks for your positive comments, it's appreciated! I work at Spyderco and we released the new Salt models at this year's DEMA Show. So far response has been great. One thing we keep hearing from divers is we need a fixed blade Salt. Since we're already talking knives here - LOL ....would you all mind me asking what type of knives you use and prefer?

We've a fixed blade rust-proof Salt in a prototype stage now and thought what better way to make the knife as functional as possible than to ask the folks that would use it? What size, shape, length works best for you? For sheathing and attaching to a BC (or your person) is there a particular system that's good, not so good?

Thanks! Great and friendly community here. I've been having a good time lurking and learning. :10:

Joyce @ Spyderco

Hi Joyce, and welcome!

Since you're asking, I would like to see a knife of H1 steel, designed like one of your competitor's blades:http://www.uwkinetics.com/D_BlueTangH.htm

Specifically with a blunted end. I need a knife more for a digging/rock-poking tool, rather than a point. Maybe a little smaller than the one I linked. BTW, the UK sheathing system is pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom