Spyderco Remote Release

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessH

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have this knife: http://www.agrussell.com/spyderco/spc30sbk.html

and was wondering if it would be suitable for takign diving?

The blade is "AUS-8A high-carbon stainless", which I don't think is the most rust resistant but if I dry it off afterwards will I have any problems? My other concern is the spring and other metal parts, anyone have any clue if these would be stainless?

I know this wouldn't be an ideal diving knife, pointy tip and all. But I already own it and need something to take with just in case.

Thoughts?

~Jess

I've taken my Spiderco Delica (15 years old) dive on occation after I forgetiing my dive knife. The pointy tip is not that big of a deal. You just have to be more carefull with it so you don't poke anything important (such as yourself or your BC) with it. Corrosion should be an issue, though plan on soaking it in fresh water to get all the salt off of it. I never had to use oil or silicon spray to prevent rust though I'm sure you will get some corrosion if you don't do some preventative maintenance after prolonged exposure.

The rating on the steel was G-2 stainless. Pretty sure that is a Spiderco rating so who knows what the standard rating is.

Reguardless of what you take diving, make sure you have a proper way of securing it and carrying it. A knife is useless if you can't get to it or if you drop it.

I asked my instructor when getting certified what the difference between a $20 stainless knife and a $80 titanium knife. He responded "about 60 bucks"

for what its worth-i am waiting for my new dive knife to arrive so in the mean time i used my favorite original cold steel tanto in a kydex sheath for a spearfisng dive. well after 40 min in salt water there was already spots of rust showing on the blade. btw cold steel tanto uses aus8

hmm, that isn't very reassuring... this knife says "AUS-8A stainless" is that the same material as your blade was? At the moment I am just diving freshwater, would that make any difference in terms of rusting?

~Jess

It doesn't really matter what kind of stainless it is, sooner or latter you are going to get rust. Just make sure you get it salt free after your dive and there shouldn't be any problems. If you want no rust go titanium.

Back
Top Bottom