Squid run!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Reports from Scripps Canyon say the squid run is now in full swing! Hopefully, now that Redondo Beach is open again we might get to actually witness it again in Los Angeles County as well. I was diving offshore last weekend and found a large patch of eggs. If you dive in Redondo Canyon, try to get pictures or video, and leave the brown squid alone. That's probably Mr. Hanky from the recent spill.

HBDive Chica and I were in the canyon last Thursday night. Lots of egg clutches - many more than the week before. Several free swimmers, and several laying / carrrying eggs about. But no masses as of a week ago.

We'll be back there later this week, presuming the swell isn't pounding and the water is safe.

---
Ken

Wow, that was fast. The public closure from the sewage spill went from being from Manhattan Beach to Palos Verde to just 1000 feet from 21st Street. Still, I think I will give it a wee bit more time for the poop fish schools to thin out.

Yeah me too Mel I will take the OW class north this weekend. I hate having to wave TP out of my face to see the students!

Been running here off Catalina for quite some time now. Lots of squid boats around the island... probably a result of the closures off the northern Channel Islands due to the "newly" designated marine ptotected areas there.

So, what's the best place and time, starting from Laguna, to see the squid? I've never done this before but it sounds like a major hoot!

Redondo beach is the normal squid run hang out.

I wouldn't mind doing Redondo this coming Wednesday Night (Jan 25th)... if the toilet has been completely flushed by then.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a thread Monday...

Just finishing a 30-min episode for my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" TV show on the mating squid. Come to Catalina and watch Catalina Cable TV to see it!

If you all like seeing the squid so much. How about doing a Squid Tour down in Baja? I have more information for those interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom