Squid still running???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_Jan

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know if the squid are still running??? My son and I want to do a night dive at Redondo either on Tuesday or Wednesday night. We are planning on being there around 7pm.

If interested in joining us, PM me.

If the squid are not running, we will see those in OC at SOCDC Mtg Wednesday night. Everyone is welcome!!!

Diver_Jan:
Anyone know if the squid are still running???

More like doing the backstroke through the soup that is Redondo Canyon...

I think. Hard to tell what they were in the fine viz we had last week. :11:

If anyone knows if Claudette's mighty squidfest is back (sans soup) I'd like to take another go this week.

---
Ken

As of last Wednesday, it looks like the mass run is over. We found patches of 2's - 10's. The only thousands we saw were the dead. You'll still be able to see lots of eggs and the marinelife that enjoys eating them. Its worth the dive.

I'm lighting incense and chanting as I type this....but the next full moon will be March 25th...might be hopeful again then. Even though it will be late in the season, there have been thick squid sightings into April according to Marty Snyderman's book, "California Marine Life."
I'm up (down?) for a Vet's dive Thursday night if the conditions continue improving. Anyone?
Claudette
Mo2vation:
More like doing the backstroke through the soup that is Redondo Canyon...

I think. Hard to tell what they were in the fine viz we had last week. :11:

If anyone knows if Claudette's mighty squidfest is back (sans soup) I'd like to take another go this week.

---
Ken

I appreciate the link, Frank O...iffy but worth watching....swells have been... ahem... exciting for a few days.
Frank O:
Though many friends will retort, "Models, schmodels," for what it's worth ...

http://www.wetsand.com/swellwatch/swellwatch.asp?CatId=295

Redondo is sometimes less affected than other sites, but it still might be iffy.

Yesterday, you could walk on the surfboards from Redondo to Palos Verdes and not get your feet wet. I think every surfer dude in SoCal was in the water. The swell was out of the West and 4' was common. Until the swell drops, you are going to find limited vis in the canyon and difficult entry/exits at Vets.

Thanks for the report peops. Hmmm...4' swells (ah, did that come out right?), ok for me, but not for my newly ow cert son!!! He's not quite the beach divin dude (diva, in my case) that his mom is!

The dive club meeting is looking better, we shall see.

HBDiveGirl:
I'm lighting incense and chanting as I type this....but the next full moon will be March 25th...might be hopeful again then. Even though it will be late in the season, there have been thick squid sightings into April according to Marty Snyderman's book, "California Marine Life."
I'm up (down?) for a Vet's dive Thursday night if the conditions continue improving. Anyone?
Claudette

Ok, I'm in! Friday March 25 at Redondo. Claudette, will you show me around?

Laurel

Back
Top Bottom