Sri Lanka diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

n2addict

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Guys,

Just thought of bragging about some great diving available in Sri Lanka at the moment. I am very biased since I am Sri lankan and do most of my diving here anyway. But having also dived in Indonesia (the best) and Maldives, I must say that I quite enjoy what we have here particularly due to its slightly "adventurous" nature.

Our misfortune of having some civil problems has a small silver lining in that tourism is not what it used to be. Which means that diving is still cheap and you dont see any divers at all in amany sights. So fr those who like to have the reef to themselves this is great.

Also because we were in a trade route we have more ship wrecks that anyone else.

So in case you are wondering where to go for your next dive trip try Sri Lanka. And as my favourite dive shop says... "Just bring your swimsuit".

Check out the following web site:

Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving in paradise!

There is diving right down the south/west coast ranging fron Negambo which is 10mins from the airport to colombo which is 45 mins from the airport right down to Galle which is about 2.30 hours from Colombo. I can give you options in these different locations but I must warn that in Negambo there is only one operator and he uses local fishing boats and in Colombo there are no opertors but local divers with all equipment jut hire fishing boats to get them to the place. Tanks are available from the commercial ornamental fish collectrs.

However down south it another story. pleanty of operators with varying degrees of equipment and comforts. If you let me know exactly where you ill be staying I will tell you the best option available. I myself use a place called dive sites lanka (www.srilankadivesites.com) but I dont say that his operation is the most sophisticated. just that I have known him for a long time and he is a friend. He is also an extremly good diver and is one of the most qualified. What is lacked in sohisticaton he makes up in friendliness and diving skills.

As for the "Hermes" it is a little difficult at the moment and certainly there are no regular operatons down there. The few guys ho dive there (certainly no one of late) basically plan the whole op on there own and use normal compressed air double tanks. Not the safest of dives on compressed air at 53m. Also Hermes is in a zone that is cosidered slightly more hgh risk than the outh coast in terms of the civil unrest. Its ok but not the best.

O2 is not common at all and I hardly see any of it around. But I will inquire into it and let you know. No Helium at all to the best of my knowledge. I myself havent dived the Hermes but have plenty of frineds who have. I can put you in touch with them if needed.

PM me if you need any further information.

Checked around and found - No Helium, No Nitrox and No Hermes.

Sorry but the diving is great and getting better as we head into the middle of the season. Let me know your detailed itenary and I will give you options in each place with my own comments. Check out the website above also since it is run by the local dive community for our selves.

Hope to see you in Sri lanka soon

I have to admit that after hearing Arthur Clarke's description of diving I've always wanted to go there and not yet had the chance to pull it off.

My wife and I just returned from 3 weeks in Sri Lanka. My wife got her Open Water certification and I was able to do 11 dives out of Hikkaduwa. We saw the usual reef critters - octopus, moray, porcupine fish, Moorish Idols, snapper, etc. as well as sea turtles, dolphins and even a black tipped reef shark, just yards from the beach. Dove on two wrecks - the Conch and the Earl of Shaftsbury.

Visibility was so-so most of the time we were there and currents varied from very strong to mild. Goda Gala dive site was reliably the best.

I highly recommend International Diving School near the Coral Sands Hotel.

Cheers.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay. BTW "Suddha" in our language means "white man" :)

I am glad you enjoyed your stay. BTW "Suddha" in our language means "white man" :)

Yes, and that is why it is my username. I am a white man with a Sinhalese wife. :)

This was my fourth trip to Sri Lanka but first time diving there.

Cheers.

Pity I didnt get a chance to meet up with you guys when you were here. I operate from Dives sites which is opposite coral rock but i know "somay"" from international very well too.

From you profile i see that you in in MN. I know a Sri lankan lady over there, Ann Gilman. Is she a friend of your wifes may be? We Sri Lankans are very clannish and build networks where ever we are :)

Also i might be heading that way sometime in April. Will keep you posted. Would be great to do a dive together. never done a fresh water dive.

Ok here it is for all those guy who pm'd me about it. The Hermes is divable again! A group of us 4 to be precise dived the wreck of HMS Hermes the first pupose built aircraft carrier sunk in 1942 off the coast of Sri Lanka. You can check out some of the pictures we took at Dive Sri Lanka! - Find out everything about SCUBA diving in paradise! be sure to check out the Hermes expedition 111 link to see all the pictures.

Back
Top Bottom