SS Copenhagen Please Read

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live on the beach right next to the Copenhagen. I used to freedive spearfish the Copenhagen 30 years ago... back in the day when it was a good spot LOL :D. The labeling of the bouys on the pdf is incorrect. The anchor/plaque is between 4th and 5th buoys counting from the South. Once you find the Anchor/Plaque just swim North and you will find the wreckage. There is some wreckage that extends over the sand (good area for macro photography) that is just North of the Anchor/Plaque but I would swim along the line where the reef meets the sand and you will come across it.

About 2 years ago I was kayaking there regularly for macro photography and I am certain that the anchor was between the 4th and 5th bouy becaue I returned there several times by counting bouys as I approached from the South. I see that soamelt says the anchor is between the 3rd and 4th bouy. If this is the case then one of the Southern most bouys must have broken loose within the last 2 years.

Wait the Buoys are incorrect ??? I want to know more TO GOOGLE

I see that soamelt says the anchor is between the 3rd and 4th bouy. If this is the case then one of the Southern most bouys must have broken loose within the last 2 years.

I was going of this site which got me out before. We went in straight from the Sea Watch which I thought was in between 3-4 and dropped right on top of it.

Maybe he should start at 1 and swim north, he's bound to hit it then!

I was going of this site which got me out before. We went in straight from the Sea Watch which I thought was in between 3-4 and dropped right on top of it.

Maybe he should start at 1 and swim north, he's bound to hit it then!

The pdf says its between bouy #2 and #3, your link says #3 and #4 and I say its between #4 and #5. The anchor is clearly moving around :D.

Good advice regarding Sea Watch. That's how we used to find it back before the bouys were put there.

The funny thing is that the anchor was not even there at all 25-30 years ago. I told this to a well respected owner of a local LDS and he told me that I was mistaken. He said that it has been there since 1900 or whenever it was that the ship sank. I told him that I used to freedive that area alot there is no way that I could have missed an anchor that big. I was certain that it was not there so I started asking around. Apparently the anchor was salvaged at some point in time and it sat on display at the Pompano Beach Historical Society for many years and it was eventually returned to the Copenhagen.

Anchor.jpg

The pdf says its between bouy #2 and #3, your link says #3 and #4 and I say its between #4 and #5. The anchor is clearly moving around :D.

The funny thing is that the anchor was not even there at all 25-30 years ago.

Like I said, start at #1 and go north!

I don't doubt that they added the anchor. They probably added it in 1994 when they added the plaque and made it an archeological preserve. It's the most defining part of the wreck any way's. If they were going to sink $ into it, it might as well have something that looks like it was part of/came from a ship there.

Okay so what buoy should I dive in at sorry got lost. =) also why is that ancor moving around those dam bugs must be playing tricks with us.... Maybe if anyone if free we can divethe copenhagen sorry about my writing on my itouch...

Okay so what buoy should I dive in at sorry got lost.
The Southern end of the wreck (Anchor & Plaque & some wreckage over the sand) is between the 4th and 5th. The bulk of the wreckage is North of the 5th bouy. I would tie up on the 5th or 6th bouy.

On the drawing that you posted bouy #3 should read #5, bouy #4 should read #6.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom