SSI Position on Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearldiver07

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A thread is being discussed now concerning a shop owner who has a conviction for child abuse (sexual).

Does SSI take a position on this, or any other criminal acts, in respect to instructors/shops attaining or maintaining professional certification through SSI?

A thread is being discussed now concerning a shop owner who has a conviction for child abuse (sexual).

Does SSI take a position on this, or any other criminal acts, in respect to instructors/shops attaining or maintaining professional certification through SSI?

Where is it being discussed? I couldn't find anything on it.

My opinion on it is he should be dropped like hot steel. He will probably be restricted from being around anyone under 18. If he doesn't disclose the fact and it's found out later it will cause a lot of stink for a lot of people.

If anything happens while conducting scuba class and the agency knew of his conviction. Heaven help em.

I agree. Even though it is not required I have PA state clearances for working with kids. Got it as required by another position. With this I cannot employ or use a registered offender with classes. I am also required to report any violations, abuse, etc I may see just like a school teacher.

At first I did not see where this would be of use as a scuba instructor, but I recently entered into negotiations to begin training a LARGE number of kids and the fact that I have this clearance is a definite plus to getting this going. It was in fact one of the first subjects that came up during the initial discussion. It is snorkeling and skin diving, with scuba for those who want it, are of age, and can afford it. I am now in the process of lining up some help for some of these sessions and I am pretty sure I am going to require this for them as well. It only costs a few bucks for the background check and as I now see is well worth it if you are going to be working with kids. Both from a parents/organizers view and from mine as well. It also makes good business sense as I am finding out and is a very effective marketing tool when approaching groups where there are minors.

This check includes Child Welfare, PA State Police, and FBI background checks.

Ethical standards

All SSI Dive leaders shall display correct and professional behaviour in the field of business and in any SSI related activities. Therefore Dive Leaders should follow the below listed guiodelines next to the SSI trraining standards. All Dive Leader shall:

1.Have no prior or pending felony convictions.

Also in order to teach Scuba Rangers Instructors need to have prior approval from SSI HQ.

Ethical standards

All SSI Dive leaders shall display correct and professional behaviour in the field of business and in any SSI related activities. Therefore Dive Leaders should follow the below listed guiodelines next to the SSI trraining standards. All Dive Leader shall:

1.Have no prior or pending felony convictions.

Sorry Stiggy, not true. I do know this firsthand and for a fact.
Pay the dues, they'll send the news.

Last edited:
When I applied to become a Scuba Ranger Instructor back in 2003 I had to pay to have a background check completed. They would not process my certification until then.

This is the only time I have ever had to do this, so my guess is they don't care unless you will be interacting with very young children...under 10 years old that is.

Out of interest what region are you working In ?

As Im aware of at least 3 that have lost there rating following a PROVEN breach of ethical standards , not just based on rumor.

Ethical standards are taken most seriously by SSI and many other agencies.

One issue that often comes up is people complain about other Instructors/divestore owners, then will not commit to putting in wrighting or putting there name to the complaint.

In these cases unless the agency personally witnesses the violation they cannot act, which in all fairness is quite unlikely.

They then get stuck between a rock and a hard place as you cannot take away somones means of income based on rumor or statements that are not backed up, and/or wouldnt stand up in a court.

Out of interest what region are you working In ?

As Im aware of at least 3 that have lost there rating following a PROVEN breach of ethical standards , not just based on rumor.

Ethical standards are taken most seriously by SSI and many other agencies.

One issue that often comes up is people complain about other Instructors/divestore owners, then will not commit to putting in wrighting or putting there name to the complaint.

In these cases unless the agency personally witnesses the violation they cannot act, which in all fairness is quite unlikely.

They then get stuck between a rock and a hard place as you cannot take away somones means of income based on rumor or statements that are not backed up, and/or wouldnt stand up in a court.

Almost every diver in our region knows his reputation and what his conviction was for. He will let you know at the first class that he is a convicted felon. As for his ethics, well that is another debate all together. I've watched his teaching videos and they are a joke. He does stuff that NO AGENCY would condone but he has letters from the previous agency owners and presidents that allows him to get around certain agency standards. And nothing can be done about it. It's been tried.

All I was doing with my previous post was pointing out that just being a convicted felon was not a reason for disqualification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom